8 replies to this topic

#1 Flak

Flak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi, wonder if you can help? I have just uninstalled a-squared free and it has left the a-squared service running on my machine. I have disabled it but I would like to know how to remove it properly as the uninstaller has not removed it.

I am running WinXp SP3

Thanks,

Flak.

#2 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

I'm having precisely the same problem myself. In my case the a-squared Free Folder is still present in program files after the uninstall. I presume the folder is still there for you, too?

The issue, then, is how to complete the faulty uninstall. There are some instructions about how to do this here, but I don't understand them. You may do better than I, but in fact Lynx is offering to help me with this, so watch this space... [Lynx, if you reply to me here instead of PM, our friend Flak - and anyone else in the same predicament - would benefit as well as me.]
Windows XP Home SP2; a-squared Free 4.5.0.27; AVG 8.5 Internet Security Suite; Windows Defender; SuperAntispyware Free; MBAM Free 1.45; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); Finjan Secure Browsing (which seems to be getting very slow and almost useless these days); WOT.

#3 Flak

Flak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

Hi, and thanks for the reply. When I uninstalled, it removed everything except the desktop Icon and the a2 service. The program folders were deleted from the start menu, but the program folder is still present in the C: directory after this I disabled the a2 service and ran CCleaner to remove the redundant registry entries. However the a2 service is still showing in the services list but is disabled.

I am wary of using the information provided in your link as it was posted in 2007, the program has received several upgrades since then and it may do more harm than good.

I would have thought that a properly executed uninstallation routine should have removed all traces of this software. I will await with interest to see what information is forthcoming!

#4 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:24 AM

Hi Guys,

It seems like the situation could differ in both cases.

Since I was not sure reading previous request by Alan, I asked him in PM whether he've cancelled current transformation process from from a-squared-Free to EAM , which he confirmed.

From Flak's posts, as far as I got it (correct me if I am wrong) - you just tried to uninstall the old a-squared & that did not went well. In addition you reported some registry cleaning already performed

The above can make a difference, but the only thing we can do at the moment is trying to follow referred instructions by Christian Mairoll and comments by justme

The similarities though are: the said instruction was suggested for the situations where the “normal” uninstallation did not work for some obscure reasons

Let's try it step-by-step

Since Alan said he is not very confident working with “DOS Box” it may a bit redundantly detailed, but I don't think it may hurt :)

Please report anything that is not going according to the instruction and ask.

=======
I really hope the such helpers as H_D & ctrlaltdelete will join with their inputs as well.
=======

1) What happened in the DOS screen after issuing the command
>CD c:\program files\a-squared Free\

you should see
C:\Program Files\a-squared Free> prompt on that black screen

2) try not typing any commands. Use copy/paste.
Say, copy (highlight, then Ctrl+C) "CD c:\program files\a-squared Free\" (no quotes) from the instruction

3) Posted Image use the icon at top left (for Paste operation in this case)

Posted Image that's what you should see after pressing Paste

I don't have the said folder (working a bit blindfolded here), but as an example:

Posted Image here is a similar prompt when CD (change directory ) issued for moving to “Emsisoft Anti-Malware” folder

4) then in a similar way copy/pasted suggested commands
- >a2service.exe /uninstall a2free ... press Enter – (uninsalling the service)

- >Regsvr32 a2freecontmenu.dll -u ... press Enter (unregister the context menu -"Explorer Integration"/Shell Extension"- if it's still present)

note: it may happen that there could be differences in the responses by the System, since Flake reported some Registry Cleaning already

5) I dont think that there should be any issues with 2 following steps:
- Restart the PC
- Delete the program folder: c:\program files\a-squared Free\

6) as for
- Open Regedit and delete the key: HKLM\Software\Emsi Software GmbH\a-squared Free\

Please ask if any question in regards to navigating to/deleting the said key etc.
You can use regedt32
(in addition see p.s.)

Cheers!

p.s. Sure there are ways to remove spare services/drivers (any) leftovers by using 3rd party Software, which does not involve manual tampering with the Registry & there is an extremely fast reliable Registry Search one
but let's leave that for later... when & if necessary, being more simple at this point because the above procedure mainly never failed

XP Pro, SP3 (32-bit); EAM v8.1.0.40 (beta) ; Firewall: Comodo 3.14 FW only ("Defense+" HIPS)
Win 7 Home Premium x64, SP1; EAM v8.1.0.40 (beta); Firewall: Comodo as above

Win 7 Ultimate, SP1 (32-bit) testing EIS 9 beta

#5 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for taking the time for all this Lynx.

I've managed to get all of the way through to uninstalling the service, restarting, and deleting the folder in program files. I even managed to navigate through the registry to the point where I had a little folder symbol for Emsi Software GMbH, and then on opening that, got another little folder symbol, a-squared. I presume this is the 'key' that you mention? So I right-clicked on that and deleted it. However, I'm still left with the little folder symbol ('Emsi Software GMbH') that 'contained' it. Do I delete that as well?

Later - it's OK Lynx. I ran Ccleaner, which picked up the key under obsolete software, and I removed it that way. So I've answered my own question, effectively.

Thanks again.
Windows XP Home SP2; a-squared Free 4.5.0.27; AVG 8.5 Internet Security Suite; Windows Defender; SuperAntispyware Free; MBAM Free 1.45; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); Finjan Secure Browsing (which seems to be getting very slow and almost useless these days); WOT.

#6 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

I'm very glad to hear (rather read that), Alan! :)

Now when your system is clean re: old a-squared It is a matter of downloading the latest Setup ; choosing 3 day trial; creating an account and using "Free" option .. but you've read several discussions and responses by the developers about that here
or the latest reply by Fabian Wosar here

Cheers!

XP Pro, SP3 (32-bit); EAM v8.1.0.40 (beta) ; Firewall: Comodo 3.14 FW only ("Defense+" HIPS)

#7 Flak

Flak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

Hi, I have followed your instructions and I am pleased to say they have worked! Thanks very much for your help with this matter.

Cheers,

Flak.

#8 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

or the latest reply by Fabian Wosar here

I think, judging from what Fabian says there, that I'll wait a few days for the release of the next version, Lynx.

Thanks again for being, as always, one of the most helpful people on the planet!

#9 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:49 AM

Thanks for the reply, Flak
& letting us know that it worked out for you as well

That is not "my" instruction - that was written by Emsisoft developers and excellently commented by justme - another user
I just embellished it a bit with a "picture gallery" :)

Alan - you last phrase from the latest reply is not true.
Are you overreacting ... again?! :lol:

Cheers, Guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users