6 replies to this topic

#1 RMB

RMB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:18 AM

I am using WinXP SP3 with a dial-up connection. Yesterday I downloaded Emsisoft Emergency Kit with Free Download Manager. It took about 12 hours, but this morning, I could not open the file. 7zip comes up with "Can not open file 'C:\EmsisoftEmergencyKit.zip' as archive". Simply doubleclicking the file generates the message "The Compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted."

So I bit the bullet and re-download it today. It increased in size by about 200K, but downloaded in just under 7 hours. Assuming that not being able to complete the download before the file gets updated is causing the corruption; and as I am on a time limit with my ISP and cannot afford to upgrade my connection to broadband, is there a mirror available that would allow a complete download without interim updates? I only have one more shot at this before I run out of connection hours for a while. If I could get a viable copy downloaded, I could immediately run the update function to bring definitions current.

Or is something else causing the corruption? FDM?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RMB

#2 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:35 AM

Hi RMB, welcome to the forum

The problems most likely is due to unreliable (dial-up) connection
Unfortunately users with dial-up often having similar issues.

There are several discussion about the matter in our old and this new forum regarding the matter (you can search the forum with keywords “big update” or alike).

There is no officially supported method for off-line signatures update
And even that may apply to Additional Signatures from Ikarus (t3sigs.vdb) only
Currently the size of the file is ~81MB.

The native signatures and new modules have to be downloaded by the program using on-line update only anyway.

Since EEK or EAM–free edition don't have an “auto-update” feature the best way is to update more frequently.
If you miss 50 subsequent updates of the Additional Signatures – the whole file mentioned above will be re-downloaded

Sure, if the EEK package (ZIP file) itself got corrupted – you are compelled to re-dwnload it,
otherwise just use “Update” from within the program as suggested.
Usually you will receive around 200KB differential signature updates. New program module are not delivered very often.
My last update just now was ~ 1.9MB since was not updating EEK since yesterday morning.

My regards

XP Pro, SP3 (32-bit); EAM Full Suite v8.1.0.19(beta) ; Firewall: Comodo 3.14 FW only! (Defense+ HIPS)
Win 7 Home Premium x64, SP1; Firewall: Comodo 3.14 FW only! (Defense+ HIPS); EAM Full Suite v8.1.0.19(beta)

#3 Rob R.

Rob R.

Forum Regular

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 982 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
  • AV:Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • HIPS:Online Armor

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

RMB,

The zip file changes on the server several times a day. A new zip file is compiled after new signatures are released. Guess that is causing the corrupt download if it takes that long to download the file.

I'll upload the latest zip file to a location where it's not automatically changed and send you a pm (personal message on this forum) with the exact location.

#4 Rob R.

Rob R.

Forum Regular

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 982 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:49 AM

Sorry Lynx, didn't see your reply.
But i've uploaded and tested the zip file and guess that's the best solution for RMB.

#5 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:03 AM

Sorry Lynx, didn't see your reply.
But i've uploaded and tested the zip file and guess that's the best solution for RMB.

There is no need to apologies, ctrlaltdelete
On the contrary - that is great(!) if you can help like this.

You know well the issues with dial-up. And as it was pointed the whole ZIP should be in place being not corrupted...

My regards and thanks a lot again!

XP Pro, SP3 (32-bit); EAM Full Suite v8.1.0.19(beta) ; Firewall: Comodo 3.14 FW only! (Defense+ HIPS)
Win 7 Home Premium x64, SP1; Firewall: Comodo 3.14 FW only! (Defense+ HIPS); EAM Full Suite v8.1.0.19(beta)

#6 RMB

RMB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

I got the zip file ctrlaltdelete set aside for me to download. It save fine, opened fine, and updated fine. It is scanning now. Thanks all.

Lynx -- I have been using a-squared for over a year now and know about massive updates, but this was the first time I had trouble downloading an "install" file.

Anyway, thanks all.

#7 Rob R.

Rob R.

Forum Regular

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 982 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

Good to hear it all worked out :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic