12 replies to this topic

#1 slider916

slider916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hello,

Is there a tool to completely uninstall Anti-malware and all file and registry traces?

Thanks.

#2 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Forum Veteran

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 3363 posts
  • AV:Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

What is wrong with the uninstaller created by the setup? Anything in particular that is left behind?
Best regards,

Fabian Wosar [Development]
Emsisoft Team - www.emsisoft.com

#3 xjps

xjps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

^A rather snarky way of saying 'no, there isn't one'. BTW Your un-installer doesn't remove registry entries.

#4 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

^A rather snarky way of saying 'no, there isn't one'. BTW Your un-installer doesn't remove registry entries.

Hi xjps,
Can you be more specific & attach the Exported Registry entries that you are claiming are not removed
Thanks

XP Pro, SP3 (32-bit); EAM v8.1.0.40 (beta) ; Firewall: Comodo 3.14 FW only ("Defense+" HIPS)
Win 7 Home Premium x64, SP1; EAM v8.1.0.40 (beta); Firewall: Comodo as above

Win 7 Ultimate, SP1 (32-bit) testing EIS 9 beta

#5 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Forum Veteran

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 3363 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:03 PM

^A rather snarky way of saying 'no, there isn't one'.

There is nothing snarky about my question. If he feels an uninstall tool is necessary there must be a reason why he thinks so. I prefer getting the provided uninstaller right instead of providing a separate tool.

BTW Your un-installer doesn't remove registry entries.

Which ones in particular?
Best regards,

#6 slider916

slider916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:42 AM

The reason I ask is because the typical uninstaller doesn't remove registry entries and leftover files, and a uninstall from the vendor is needed to do a complete uninstall of the product.

Thanks.

#7 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:15 AM

...the typical uninstaller doesn't remove registry entries and leftover files, and a uninstall from the vendor is needed to do a complete uninstall of the product.

Hi slider916,

... but those were the main questions asked above:

What registry entries?
Can you Export and attach the file here?

As for the Files/Folders EAM can leave the folder for example if you did not take care of Quarantined Items.
Usually you should do that prior to Uninstall.
If you didn't - the folder is left / preserved, so those can be used after reinstallation

Please provide requested information

My regards

P.S. {added} Otherwise, if you don't want to post the info, for some reasons - please follow the instructions referred in this case

XP Pro, SP3 (32-bit); EAM v8.1.0.40 (beta) ; Firewall: Comodo 3.14 FW only ("Defense+" HIPS)

#8 Malcontent

Malcontent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 05:47 AM

So, the official response is that the uninstaller included with Antimalware removes every single trace of an Antimalware installation?

That's impressive considering that no other AV I've tried has managed to accomplish this feat. I've tried close to ten so far and every one has left "some" trace behind. Several AV venders provide a separate uninstall utility to clean up and remove registry entries and other left over remnants.

That was what the OP was asking about/for.

So, I guess the answer is no, to the uninstall utility?

#9 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:04 AM

Hi Malcontent,

You are right many if not most of existing security Packages do have such "special" Utilities
but if you've read the reply #5 by Fabian Wosar - the normal installer should do the job - that is the main goal
According to my experience it always does
The odd cases can happen. Those could be conflicts with other security, that in most cases users are not stating... etc.
- therefore there is an instruction ... just in case the Add/Remove fails

But another thing is that it is important to provide as much descriptive information if anything goes wrong in order to improve if something was not taken into consideration yet including substantial changes in the new version

I performed many "normal" uninstalls / reinstalls of EAM and Mamutu on XP & on Win 7 x64

No problems yet ... and believe me if such - those would be reported

My regards

#10 xjps

xjps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

Lynx, your attempt to blame other security software was rather predictable. What sort of problem do you expect when you keep installing and un-installing the same product? Slightly updated perhaps but that's already it. Try to install something else. I did exactly that and was, during install, informed that the product couldn't be installed because EAM was already/still there.

Fabian, I take it that English isn't your first language and/or actually trying to solve a problem instead of jumping on the defence isn't one of your traits either.

#11 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Forum Veteran

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 3363 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

I did exactly that and was, during install, informed that the product couldn't be installed because EAM was already/still there.

What application did you try to install?

Fabian, I take it that English isn't your first language and/or actually trying to solve a problem instead of jumping on the defence isn't one of your traits either.

It isn't and I am not defensive at all. I just want to know what wasn't removed for you so I can try to reproduce the issue and improve the uninstaller. Because - as I said - I prefer the uninstaller shipped with the product to do a perfect job so a separate tool is unnecessary.
Best regards,

#12 Lynx

Lynx

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2546 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

I'm not sure what do you mean by "predictable"
If it is - that's you judgment - I cannot change it

As for blaming :blink: I did not blame anything as far as I am concerned

Installing & uninstalling is what I am doing just in order to test EAM full / EAM Free / Mamutu with and without EAM (free Edition)/or other security installed ... things like that.
I don't see anything wrong with that and with current uninstall procedure.

At the same time, there were several requests asking to show particular Registry Entries left / particular Folders/files left... etc., and there is no answer to that yet

Statements like

... Try to install something else.

do not make any sense to me in this context
and

Fabian, I take it that English isn't your first language and/or...

... and so on...
is simply unacceptable, by my opinion, because there were no cases where Fabian's messages were not understood by the users

Thanks

#13 Guest_James_*

Guest_James_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

It's getting a little hot in here, but thought that I would offer any help I can because English is my first language.

Would you mind if we can clear the below statement up?

Try to install something else. I did exactly that and was, during install, informed that the product couldn't be installed because EAM was already/still there.

By that do you mean you attempted to install another security program which looks for other installed AV/AM/AS products before installing? I believe that the latest version of AVG does this, but would you mind confirming that is what you mean?

I'm sure we can solve your problem, but we require some info from you first - Please can you give us the remaning files/folders/registry keys and values that are not removed after using the built-in uninstaller? If we can get this information (we can assist you in getting it, if required) then one of our developers will be able to fix the uninstaller.

Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users