Photo

Update to 5.5 fails due to corrupt file (and also licence missing)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cubittus

Cubittus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • AV:NOD32
  • HIPS:Online Armor

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:39 AM

I've just started getting errors pop up in OA when it tries to update itself. I'm currently on version 5.1.1.1395, on WinXP SP3. My AV is Eset NOD32 4.2.71.2, and both are working together just fine (appropriate exclusions are in place so they don't conflict).

This is the event log entry for the update failure:

Created: 2012-02-09 01:22:08
Summary: Automatic Update failed
Description: OA: File help_ena.chm is corrupted
Event type: Auto update(11)
Event action: None(1)

Also, within OA my licence is showing up fine. I just renewed a couple of weeks ago.
However the licence is now no longer appearing in the Customer Center web page.
I read another post about this and tried to register my key (I still have the email from the renewal) but it says this:

ERROR: The license key you entered does not exist or is already registered with another user account.

Please note, that the key printed on your purchase documents might be different to the one that the software displays. Please enter the key that is displayed in the licenses dialog of the software only.

Online armor 5.1 just tells me how long my licence has left, it doesn't show the key.

What's going on?

#2 Illuminati

Illuminati

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • LocationRussia,Ukraine
  • AV:Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • HIPS:Online Armor Premium Firewall

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

:) Go to the service centre-license-manager-Can't see your license key? Please register your license key here-select OА from the drop-down menu,insert the key- registration.After this your new register and will be visible in the service center.....and http://support.emsis...dpost__p__43820

#3 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Forum Veteran

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 2959 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

What's going on?

The most likely cause is a problem with the Windows Crypto API on your system. We fixed that issue in the new Online Armor 5.5 version. I would suggest you download a new Online Armor setup and perform an upgrade installation instead. This will upgrade Online Armor to version 5.5 while preserving all your settings and rules.
Best regards,

Fabian Wosar [Development]
Emsisoft Team - www.emsisoft.com

#4 Cubittus

Cubittus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

I downloaded the installer and ran the upgrade install. All seems to be working just fine now. The built-in updater also runs correctly.

Also, the Customer Center page now accepts my licence key - the exact same key it wouldn't accept yesterday!? Is this because I had to actually run OA 5.5 before the key could be registered?

Also, you mention a problem with Windows Crypto API on my system. I've not experienced any other problems that may be related to this service. Could you provide more details on how I can fix this or determine if there is an actual problem in my system? (Or might you actually mean that it was a OA bug related to the Crypto service?)

Thanks

#5 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Forum Veteran

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 2959 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Also, the Customer Center page now accepts my licence key - the exact same key it wouldn't accept yesterday!? Is this because I had to actually run OA 5.5 before the key could be registered?

Correct. The Emsisoft customer center only recognizes keys that have been converted from the old licensing system to the new one. Conversion is performed when you install or update to version 5.5. So essentially you must have put in your key at least once in Online Armor 5.5 so that the customer center is able to see it.

Could you provide more details on how I can fix this or determine if there is an actual problem in my system?

Microsoft doesn't expect the crypto chain to break so there is no official way to repair it. If you are not experiencing any other problems with your installed applications I would simply ignore it. Online Armor used to use some rarely used functions inside the Windows Crypto API that is causing trouble if the Windows Crypto API isn't working 100% correctly. I doubt there will be much more applications that use it the same way. So more than likely you won't have any trouble in the future if you don't have them now.
Best regards,

#6 Cubittus

Cubittus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Microsoft doesn't expect the crypto chain to break so there is no official way to repair it. If you are not experiencing any other problems with your installed applications I would simply ignore it. Online Armor used to use some rarely used functions inside the Windows Crypto API that is causing trouble if the Windows Crypto API isn't working 100% correctly. I doubt there will be much more applications that use it the same way. So more than likely you won't have any trouble in the future if you don't have them now.

OK thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Another quick question related to licences. Later this year I expect to build a new PC and migrate to Windows 7. I'll want to migrate my software onto the new PC and will be decomissioning the old one.
I seem to remember that the old OA licence page had an option to free up a licence from one PC in order to install it on another. I can't see this option on the new Customer Center pages.
How would I go about doing this?

Thanks again.

#7 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Forum Veteran

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 2959 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Another quick question related to licences. Later this year I expect to build a new PC and migrate to Windows 7. I'll want to migrate my software onto the new PC and will be decomissioning the old one.
I seem to remember that the old OA licence page had an option to free up a licence from one PC in order to install it on another. I can't see this option on the new Customer Center pages.
How would I go about doing this?

That function is obsolete with the transition from the old Online Armor licensing system to the Emsisoft licensing system. Essentially when you type in your key on your new machine and you don't have any licenses left on that key it will ask you whether or not you want to reassign the license from your old machine to the new one. This can be done up to 3 times in any 24 hour time frame.
Best regards,

#8 Cubittus

Cubittus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

That function is obsolete with the transition from the old Online Armor licensing system to the Emsisoft licensing system. Essentially when you type in your key on your new machine and you don't have any licenses left on that key it will ask you whether or not you want to reassign the license from your old machine to the new one. This can be done up to 3 times in any 24 hour time frame.

That's perfect! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users