• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 1eyedjack

1eyedjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

For the last few days, O A Premium no longer starts automatically with Windows--I have to start it manually. I have "launch Online Armor at next startup" checked. I see nothing under the history tab to tell me what kind of problem I'm having.
My setup:
Dell XPS 4100
Pentium D 2.8 GHz dual-core
3 GB RAM
O A Premium
Norton AV 2012
XP Pro Service Pack 3
Everything is fully updated.
Scans show no malware.
Thanks, John

#2 hackerman1

hackerman1

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • AV:EAM
  • HIPS:Windows Firewall & Comodo´s Defence+ (HIPS)
  • Other:MBAM, WinPatrol

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Start "Services":
left-click on the "startbutton"
type "Services" in the run-window
select "Services" from the listed programs
right-click and select "run as admin" (you can skip this if you are using an ADMIN-account, if so then just left-click)

Scroll down or type "O"
Take a look at OA´s "services", are they set to "Automatically" ?

My security: a normal "USER-account", EAM-full, 1 A/V without realtimeprotection: MBAM-free, Windows Firewall, Comodo´s Defence+ (HIPS)

WinPatrol-PLUS, a HOSTS-file, UAC at max, Firefox with "Noscript" & "AD-Block",
a working "main CPU" & "2 optical input units".

#3 stapp

stapp

Sheep Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • LocationYorkshire UK

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

As well as Hackerman's excellent advice, do you have Norton excluded in OA and OA excluded in Norton?

Using Win XP 32bit, Win 7 64bit, Win 8.1 64bit.

#4 Andrew F.

Andrew F.

Developer

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 801 posts
  • AV:Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • HIPS:Online Armor

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hello 1eyedjack,

Do you have "Launch Online Armor at next startup" checkbox ticked at Options->General in OA configuration?
Best regards,

Andrey Fedorinin [Development]
Emsisoft Team - www.emsisoft.com

#5 1eyedjack

1eyedjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hello andrewf:

Yes, I have "Launch Online Armor at next startup" checkbox ticked at Options->General in OA configuration--I stated so in my original post.

Hello hackerman1:

The first of the two was set to manual; I reset it to auto as you suggested and that has fixed it. Many thanks, hackerman1

The thing that has me puzzled is that everything was fine until a few days ago, and I had not changed anything.

#6 hackerman1

hackerman1

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • AV:EAM
  • HIPS:Windows Firewall & Comodo´s Defence+ (HIPS)
  • Other:MBAM, WinPatrol

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hello andrewf:

Yes, I have "Launch Online Armor at next startup" checkbox ticked at Options->General in OA configuration--I stated so in my original post.

Hello hackerman1:

The first of the two was set to manual; I reset it to auto as you suggested and that has fixed it. Many thanks, hackerman1

The thing that has me puzzled is that everything was fine until a few days ago, and I had not changed anything.

Good to hear that OA works now.

Regarding why it was off, when did you install Norton AV ?

My security: a normal "USER-account", EAM-full, 1 A/V without realtimeprotection: MBAM-free, Windows Firewall, Comodo´s Defence+ (HIPS)

WinPatrol-PLUS, a HOSTS-file, UAC at max, Firefox with "Noscript" & "AD-Block",
a working "main CPU" & "2 optical input units".

#7 1eyedjack

1eyedjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

hackerman1: I installed Norton AV about three years ago(switched from ESET then)with the last major upgrade coming out in Jan or Feb of this year. The only recent change I can recall was a few days ago Online Armor gave me the message: Online Armor has downloaded a new version. Do you want to restart now? or something like that. (I'm referring to the normal thing that happens periodically) I just can't remember exactly when that happened, but I think that is when the problem began.

#8 1eyedjack

1eyedjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

The problem has reappeared!
I started my computer this morning, and OA was not showing in the taskbar.
I looked at services.msc and Online Armor service had changed from automatic to manual.
When I tried to change it back to automatic, I got a popup, "access denied".
This has me baffled!

#9 1eyedjack

1eyedjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

I was able to restart my computer in "Safe Mode" and change the Online Armor service to automatic.
When I then restarted normally, I got the same result as http://support.emsis...ble-in-systray/ --in other words, services.msc says both OA services are set to automatic and are running, but the OA icon does not appear in the taskbar. I also wanted to see if I could now change the service start type while in regular Windows, and I get the same popup as before--Access is denied.

#10 GT500

GT500

Emsisoft Support

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 3174 posts
  • LocationFortville, IN, USA
  • Other:Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.x Beta

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

Please run OTL by following the instructions below:
  • Click this link to save OTL onto your desktop (please make sure to click 'Save' instead of 'Run').
  • Double click on the OTL icon on your desktop to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan will take a few minutes.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two Notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. The first one (OTL.txt) will be automatically saved on your desktop next to OTL, and the second one will need to be saved manually.
  • Please make sure that both OTL.txt and Extras.txt are saved on your desktop, and then attach both of them to a reply so that we can take a look at them.

Best regards,

Arthur Wilkinson [Support/Quality Assurance]

#11 1eyedjack

1eyedjack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

This morning(July 2, 2012)the problem has reappeared--again!

The problem has reappeared!
I started my computer this morning, and OA was not showing in the taskbar.
I looked at services.msc and Online Armor service had changed from automatic to manual.
When I tried to change it back to automatic, I got a popup, "access denied".
This has me baffled!

I am attaching the requested files.
Thanks, John

#12 GT500

GT500

Emsisoft Support

• Emsisoft Employee
  • 3174 posts
  • LocationFortville, IN, USA
  • Other:Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.x Beta

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

That log looks OK to me.

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode (just above the Run Safety Check Wizard, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to RapidShare, and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.
Best regards,

Arthur Wilkinson [Support/Quality Assurance]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users