• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • AV:Avast
  • HIPS:OA
  • Other:NIL

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hi,
On the same History subject I observed another thing. I installed Download Accelerator plus (trusted by OA) and while DAP asked internet permission I BLOCKED it for the SESSION. After a while I decided to allow it anyway anf clicked the History link for DAP>> Firewall action , but found it absent in the Firewall tab. So once again I had to delete DAP from PROGRAMS and rerun it. This time I blocked DAP>> internet permanently , and found it enlisted in Firewall tab.

I tried it another time and can confirm that events which are dealt for a " Session" basis do not get enlisted in that respective tab.

WIN 7 x 64  , AVAST free , OA

#2 Nick

Nick

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

I tried it another time and can confirm that events which are dealt for a " Session" basis do not get enlisted in that respective tab.

That's how it should work for a " session" basis event/decision, in my opinion. Those events should not be enlisted in the Firewall tab - just the opposite for permanent user decisions.

So once again I had to delete DAP from PROGRAMS and rerun it.

Another option would be a system reboot (ending session)...

Edited by Nick, 03 July 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#3 trujwin

trujwin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

That's how it should work for a " session" basis event/decision, in my opinion. Those events should not be enlisted in the Firewall tab - just the opposite for permanent user decisions.

Does not make much difference to the user as long as he knows what are prevented or allowed even it be for the session. Anyway at the next session OA would definitely alert for the user. If per session events are also listed ,the user can directly click on the "Allow" or "Block"or "delete" to make the action permanent. Might be OA could introduce a yellow backfill for temporary actions.

Another option would be a system reboot (ending session)...

Let us attempt to make things simpler ...... :)

#4 trujwin

trujwin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

This issue seems not updated in the newer OA version . I noticed one more thing..

I deleted the Firewall rule for DC++. I started it and allowed "Only for session" in OA. Ofcourse it was not listed in the Firewall tab .
I closed the program and restarted. This time surprisingly OA puts up an alert "Only for allow/Block" . Nowhere the tick boxes for the session are seen. Logically session would mean the start and end for that program only? In that case the full set of alerts should have been in place. Also as usual even if I press allow / block the said choices is not reflected in the Firewall Tab.

#5 catprincess

catprincess

Forum Veteran

• Global Moderator
  • 1247 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

This issue seems not updated in the newer OA version . I noticed one more thing..

Only items listed as such in the changelog http://changeblog.em...-1616-released/ have been fixed/changed/added. The issue you mention is not really a bug because session only rules are not supposed to be displayed in the Firewall tab. Perhaps session only events would just be better displayed in History with no hyperlink available to avoid confusion, but such a change isn't likely to be very high priority in the scheme of things.

I deleted the Firewall rule for DC++. I started it and allowed "Only for session" in OA. Ofcourse it was not listed in the Firewall tab .
I closed the program and restarted. This time surprisingly OA puts up an alert "Only for allow/Block" . Nowhere the tick boxes for the session are seen. Logically session would mean the start and end for that program only? In that case the full set of alerts should have been in place. Also as usual even if I press allow / block the said choices is not reflected in the Firewall Tab.

'
"Session only" isn't related to the duration of the program's session. For the session to end in the context of OA, OA itself has to be either closed down, or the computer restarted.

#6 trujwin

trujwin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Only items listed as such in the changelog http://changeblog.em...-1616-released/ have been fixed/changed/added. The issue you mention is not really a bug because session only rules are not supposed to be displayed in the Firewall tab. Perhaps session only events would just be better displayed in History with no hyperlink available to avoid confusion, but such a change isn't likely to be very high priority in the scheme of things..

No, if I am not mistaken the History list not leading to correct entry , which I had mentioned in another thread seems to work fine. Between God and Emsisoft I would trust the latter for the improvement. Imho even session only events could be mentioned for better and immediate tracking.

#7 trujwin

trujwin

Forum Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Just to add another thing. While installing some software I tended to allow an exe file (session only) to access internet considering it might be required. Later realised that it was Non-essential. But permanent blocking was a problem since it was not in the Firewall/ programs list . I had to go to PROGRAMS , delete the software from the program list , stopped the running installation and started the process of instgallation fresh. This time I permanently disallowed the exe file's internet access. Might be an entry with a yellow question mark (suggesting session only permission) will be apt.

#8 catprincess

catprincess

Forum Veteran

• Global Moderator
  • 1247 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Just to add another thing. While installing some software I tended to allow an exe file (session only) to access internet considering it might be required. Later realised that it was Non-essential. But permanent blocking was a problem since it was not in the Firewall/ programs list . I had to go to PROGRAMS , delete the software from the program list , stopped the running installation and started the process of instgallation fresh. This time I permanently disallowed the exe file's internet access. Might be an entry with a yellow question mark (suggesting session only permission) will be apt.

This is expected behaviour, as I explained earlier with regards to how "session only" is supposed to work.

For the session to end in the context of OA, OA itself has to be either closed down, or the computer restarted.

If you want to post feature requests (referring to your last sentence), the appropriate location to do this is the Feedback section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users