tazman01

Member
  • Content Count

    7
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About tazman01

  • Rank
    New Member
  1. I did mis-type - the entry should say svchost.exe (not svhost.exe). It looks like this may be a Google update thing. I didn't recognize it since usually I saw something in the online armour popup that said google\update
  2. Windows XP home SP3 with all updates, Nod32 AV version 4, OA Premium (but not with the AV), Use Firefox, (at times Opera and Chrome) I started getting this question from OA Module \BaseNamedObjects\ShimCacheMutex wants to remotely control another process using OLE C:\WINDOWS\system32\svhost.exe I block it (not selcting remember, trust or terminate) since I am not sure if it is safe or not and it comes back again ~10 minutes later. Anyone have any idea if it is safe or what it is for?
  3. Just got the update and restarted computer. After restart I was prompted to choose one of 3 options - 30 day trial, enter license for premium or enter license for ++ version. My license is still valid and was updated to OA premium 5.5.0.153. Win xp sp3 32 bit, nod32. Why do I have to dig up my old almost 2 year old license in order to get this update? I should not have to go through the trouble.edit - I found it but am a little frustrated with having to spend time to dig it up (especially without a forewarning)
  4. I will do that. Thanks to all the help, it sounded like something simple, but I don't know my way around the program that well and I got thrown off when I originally saw the rule was set up 5/4/2010 so I brushed it off that it had to be something else (the date does not change after an edit of a rule. But my daughter must have accidentally denied the access when OA recently asked (probably after an avast update).
  5. Catprincess and others that were helping me. I apologize for the delay, but an 80 hour work week did not allow me time to work on the responses here until now. I was able to update security programs - avast 5 and even check for updates on online armor, so the issue was just in internet access regardless of browser. I checked the firewall log and narrowed it down to avastsvc.exe (my avast 5 antivirus). Weird though since I had already checked program access of avast and all components including avastsvc.exe and it was set to allow. Looking at the log it showed that (when trying to access the internet that avastsvc.exe was blocked TCP OUT port 80 and port 53. If I allow port 80 access the internet works fine with the firewall turned on. I did not allow port 53 and firefox works fine. I do not know ports, but allowing port 80 now allows firefox to browse. Is this safe? Also, when I changed the rule I noticed the rule was created 5/4/2010 and the problem just started a few weeks ago - not sure why. edit - I just noticed that the date does not change after an edit so possibly my family member disabled this by mistake and that is what caused this problem in the first place. Is it safe to allow port 80 and with this port 80 on do not allow, firefox cannot connect. edit - this rule is for outbound port 80.
  6. I use firefox which is up to date, but also tired internet explorer with the same result. I am using Winpatrol as well as Avast, XP Pro all updates are in place. There have been no new installs a few weeks ago. This is a second computer that family members use. I'm not sure if they did something to cause this but in the last few weeks I have not had the time to look at it so they've been using another computer in the house until I got a chance to look at it. After re-booting the PC, I did some digging and turned off OA and the internet worked fine. I turned OA back on, turned off the firewall portion and the internet worked in both browsers. Once I turn the firewall back on the internet will not connect so there is a setting within OA's firewall that I cannot figure out only that when the firewall is on there I cannot connect to the internet. The connection is a wireless connection but that is not the problem since I've narrowed it down to the firewall portion of OA, so there is a setting that is not right. This is why I went to the computer list in the firewall portion and clicked the reset list. OA then asked me if I wanted to trust the network, I answered yes. I thought this would clear up the connection, but it did not. I've been using OA for 3 years and I'm not an expert with it but usually have no problems. edit - pinging http://support.emsisoft.com in a command prompt works with both the firewall on or off in OA. But there is no connection in firefox (meaning I cannot reach any website if the firewall is on in OA.
  7. When the firewall part of OA paid 4.5.1.431 the internet will not connect. I tried to go into the firewall portion and reset the computer list and then trusted the network. This did not work. I can only connect when I uncheck and turn off the firewall. This started a couple of weeks ago but I am just getting around to looking at it. T