m0unds

OA Executable trust

Hi,

After I upgraded to Windows 8, I reinstalled both EAM and OA (current versions) and I've been running into a ton of signed MS executables not being trusted by OA by default, and in some cases, EAM has been having to do cloud db checks for things like..internet explorer, or MS background transfer service, etc.

EAM has also been giving me behavioral prompts when I launch other applications built into Windows. I didn't experience anything like this with Windows 7, and it's starting to grate on me quite a bit. I've since removed and reinstalled both EAM and OA again just to ensure I didn't have something borked with my install. I had been running both with Webroot Secure Anywhere installed as well, and I removed that to rule out the possibility of a conflict (despite having excluded all necessary processes and drivers in EAM and directories in OA, as well as trusting WR drivers and exes) but it persisted.

What I wanted to find out is whether this is just a side effect of the lack of "reputation" for some of these files, which might resolve after Windows 8's install base is bigger? It's frustrating to not be able to spend a day without learning mode enabled on OA (even when I'm not installing/removing software) because of all the incessant prompting and having to manually trust or allow signed system files.

Thanks,

Chris

updating to include specific version #s: OA: 6.0.0.1736 updated  today - EAM: 7.0.0.12

Would it be possible for you to post screenshots for us? Here's a link to instructions (please note that there is a lot of advertising on that linked webpage), and we prefer the format of screenshots to be PNG (Portable Network Graphics) for the best combination of clarity and smaller file size.

Note that you can attach files to a forum post by going to the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.

Would it be possible for you to post screenshots for us? Here's a link to instructions (please note that there is a lot of advertising on that linked webpage), and we prefer the format of screenshots to be PNG (Portable Network Graphics) for the best combination of clarity and smaller file size.

Note that you can attach files to a forum post by going to the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.

sure thing - which behavior would you like screenshots of?

To add to Arthur's request: Do you have the following update installed?

Update for Root Certificates for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems [December 2012] (KB931125)

negative - should I? it's a pending optional update for me. i'll apply it if you think it'd help.

No, but it could have been an explanation why the certificate checks fail on your system as we may need to white list the new Microsoft certificates first (if there are any). I will let Arthur handle this case from here.

No, but it could have been an explanation why the certificate checks fail on your system as we may need to white list the new Microsoft certificates first (if there are any). I will let Arthur handle this case from here.

ah, okay - gotcha. thanks.

Just for your interest: The problem with the occasional cloud lookups in Emsisoft Anti-Malware has been fixed with an update today. We are still looking into what is causing the problem with Online Armor.

Hello,

Could you please do the following:

1) Uninstall OA

2) Reboot twice

3) Reinstall OA with debug logging enabled during install as described at http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3819-how-to-configure-online-armor-debug-logs/

4) Reproduce the problem

5) Close & shutdown OA

6) Zip the contents of the "Logs" directory and email the resulting archive to "oasupport (at) emsisoft [dot] com" with a link to this topic in your message and

information requested at http://support.emsisoft.com/forum-49/announcement-11-information-to-include-in-your-support-request/

Thank you in advance,

Just for your interest: The problem with the occasional cloud lookups in Emsisoft Anti-Malware has been fixed with an update today. We are still looking into what is causing the problem with Online Armor.

right on, thanks for the info.

Hello,

Could you please do the following:

1) Uninstall OA

2) Reboot twice

3) Reinstall OA with debug logging enabled during install as described at http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3819-how-to-configure-online-armor-debug-logs/

4) Reproduce the problem

5) Close & shutdown OA

6) Zip the contents of the "Logs" directory and email the resulting archive to "oasupport (at) emsisoft [dot] com" with a link to this topic in your message and

information requested at http://support.emsisoft.com/forum-49/announcement-11-information-to-include-in-your-support-request/

Thank you in advance,

will do. i'm not going to be able to do this for a couple days, as i don't presently have access to the machine in question. i'll post again when i've completed the step(s).

thanks again

Okay -

followed the instructions to uninstall, reboot twice, install w/debug mode enabled, allowed the machine to boot, then ran a handful of ms apps including cmd.exe, nslookup, calculator, resource monitor. I also included a screenshot of OA's programs dialog so you can see the list of MS apps that are showing "unknown" trust level, and the ones that show allowed were the ones that OA asked me about via prompts. I'll be emailing it here in a moment.

*EDIT* Alrighty - sent. Also, that update to EAM does seem to have helped the excessive cloud lookup issue. I was getting it on nslookup and ping pretty consistently, but now I'm not.

Thanks again,

Chris

Okay -

followed the instructions to uninstall, reboot twice, install w/debug mode enabled, allowed the machine to boot, then ran a handful of ms apps including cmd.exe, nslookup, calculator, resource monitor. I also included a screenshot of OA's programs dialog so you can see the list of MS apps that are showing "unknown" trust level, and the ones that show allowed were the ones that OA asked me about via prompts. I'll be emailing it here in a moment.

*EDIT* Alrighty - sent. Also, that update to EAM does seem to have helped the excessive cloud lookup issue. I was getting it on nslookup and ping pretty consistently, but now I'm not.

Thanks again,

Chris

Hello,

Thank you. Email received.

hi,

oddly enough, this has started to become an issue again. i had to remove OA to diagnose a stability issue i was encountering with windows, and when i reinstalled using the "beta" installer i was given in december, OA is failing to properly trust MS executables and dlls. this is causing some headaches, since common windows applications like taskmgr or msconfig are invoking OA prompts.

system configuration is the same as before, except with EAM 8.0.0.10.

i tried allowing OA to update, as this was advised against back in december, but it's still not properly trusting MS exes/dlls. i also tried downloading the installer from the site, and it exhibited the same issue, even after updating.

any suggestions?

thanks,

chris

Actually, Andrey just sent me a message to let me know that he was able to reproduce the issue and is fairly confident that he knows what is causing it. I can't make any guesses as far as when it might be fixed, however I hope it won't take too long. ;)

Actually, Andrey just sent me a message to let me know that he was able to reproduce the issue and is fairly confident that he knows what is causing it. I can't make any guesses as far as when it might be fixed, however I hope it won't take too long. ;)

oh good, glad he was able to reproduce it. thanks for the update!

hey, any progress with this?

Andrey hasn't informed me of any progress, however please note that new builds of Online Armor can take some time.