Firefox set to RunSafer & Flash Player upgrading

Nick

Hello,

When upgrading the Adobe Flash Player Plugin for Firefox should I run Firefox without restrictions to avoid a corrupted installation or any other possible issues? I have Firefox set to RunSafer and I usually update Flash Player using the executables you can find here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html (Adobe Flash Player Distribution).

Until now, I always disable RunSafer before upgrading Flash (or, by the way,  before upgrading Firefox itself), but I'd like to know if it's an unecessary step.

System Information:

Win XP Pro SP3
Avast! Free AV 7.0.1474.765
Online Armor Free 6.0.0.1736

Firefox latest version

Adobe Flash Player latest version

I update Flash on someone else's computer that has XP with Firefox set to Run Safer.  It installs fine and I've never noticed any problems.  Note though, that when it downloads, I don't open it using the Firefox downloads window which would cause Flash to inherit the "Run Safer" setting.  I go directly to the desktop where I save it and run it from there.

The EXE Installer for Plugin-based browsers doesn't care about how Firefox is configured.  

The best practice tho is to close Firefox before running the Flash installer.

Speaking of Run Safer, if you haven't already done so you should set plugin-container.exe to run so as well.  I've done that for about two years and no problems with Flash, Java and Silverlight on XP and Win7 systems with Firefox and Pale Moon, portables and setup'd.

Cheers.

@catprincess

I don't open it using the Firefox downloads window which would cause Flash to inherit the "Run Safer" setting.

Thanks. Neither do I.

I was just not completely sure Firefox set to RunSafer wouldn't corrupt the Flash installation/upgrade.

@dallas7

Speaking of Run Safer, if you haven't already done so you should set plugin-container.exe to run so as well.

Well, I've always considered that an unnecessary/redundant step when Firefox (the main process) is set to RunSafer. The reason being that the plugin-container process would inherit the 'Run Safer' setting in any case.

Best regards

"Well, I've always considered that an unnecessary/redundant step when Firefox (the main process) is set to RunSafer. The reason being that the plugin-container process would inherit the 'Run Safer' setting in any case."

I can interpret from your use of "in any case" you assign perfection to Online Armor.  I don't assign that to anything and with about two years of up close and personal experience with OA (Free, Premium and ++) on several systems, I certainly can't assign it to OA.  That's not to say OA isn't the Best In Class IMHO.

As such, unnecessary is a personal judgement call.  And redundant is A-OK by me as in this case it takes about 2 seconds to implement.

So I will re-qualify my call
"if you haven't already done so you should set plugin-container.exe to run so"
to
One might consider setting plugin-container.exe to Run Safer also.

Enough said.  I won't be revisiting this thread.

Cheers.