mofa

Whats OA like at detecting Java Exploits?

Hello, i  got a Java exploit that kept returning and my Avira AV got rid of it in the end, but seing as i need to use Java (oracle) software i'd like to have additional security that would hopefully detect such exploits BEFORE they get into my system. I've never used OA.

Would HIPS be the best protection out there for Java exploits and what is the detection rate for OA for Java exp's ?

I currently have Avira (web guard not enabled) and Rapport installed . Any compatability issues with OA Free and these 2 and Shadow Defender (which i'd like to try on this Acer Aspire aod270) ? I'd turn off any of the above protection i have , to be able to use OA on the few websites i need Java on.

Thanks for any help.

Behavior Blockers and HIPS should be fairly effective against most exploits (Java included), however they do require that you select the correct option when the notification pops up.

Also, please make sure to keep your plugins (Java, Adobe Flashe, etc) up to date, as there are often security updates to prevent exploits like those. You may also want to consider leaving plugins such as Java and Flash disabled, at least when you aren't actually using them (I leave Java disabled all the time, and I would disable Flash as well if not for YouTube).

Just as a point of information, I set Java as RunSafer in Program Guard, i.e. java.exe, javaw,exe, etc.

No problems with Java in the browser or with anything else Java that I run.  I also set the firewall so if anything Java attempts an outbound, I allow it for the session only.  Or block if I deem it so if necessary.

I don't know if RunSafer is available in the free version but I know that the firewall granularity is not.

Cheers.

I currently have Avira (web guard not enabled) and Rapport installed . Any compatability issues with OA Free and these 2

As for Trusteer Rapport:

The Online Armor Web Shield may not work in combination with Sandboxie, Trusteer Rapport or PrevX SafeOnline

Online Armor may not be able to apply restrictions to browsers that are running with or within any of the aforementioned applications.

Reason:

The aforementioned applications prevent Online Armor from installing certain hooks that are required in order to apply the Web Shield restrictions correctly.

Solution/Workaround:

There are no known solutions or workarounds except dropping either the Online Armor Web Shield or the aforementioned application used.

You can read more about known and confirmed Online Armor issues here: http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/5208-known-online-armor-issues/