trujwin

Green Border around Safe Programs

Hi,

ONly vertain applications like IE, Firefox which when run safe have green borders. Why are they not seen around Adobe reader , or Webcam viewer which are also designated to run safe...

Thanks.

Your operating system is Windows 7 x64, and your only other security software is avast! Free, correct?

Your operating system is Windows 7 x64, and your only other security software is avast! Free, correct?

Yes ofcourse.. The Green border works on some apps and not all when chosen to run safe. I read in a post elsewhere that OA would force upon the green border upon a safe program that it could even negate the Aero for that app. It is still worth if it happens this way...

You wouldn't happen to be using a sandbox program such as Sandboxie, would you?

No. I think Running safe from OA itself offers a first level of protection. All the programs are run from the explorer directly. I wonder your's  was a question or a conclusion? :)

... I wonder your's  was a question or a conclusion? :)

More just hoping for an easy explanation. ;)

We'll probably need some logs to see what is causing this. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem with the green border not appearing for programs in RunSafer mode. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

I will try to send the logs , but could take time. Meanwhile are you able to get the green border for apps like Acrord32, CCleaner , Webcam at your end??

I can confirm it with CCleaner on Windows 7 x64. I haven't tested with the other programs you mentioned.

Green border does show for CCleaner when run under XP run safer. 

Confirmed as not showing for Win7 64bit.

Version 3.19 added a tickbox option to skip UAC for later operating systems.  (Just adding this for info GT500)

Thanks for the info stapp. I've sent an e-mail to Andrey to make sure that he is aware of this. ;)

Hi

Just to add that , in my case for FF and IE the green border which is present in the Administrator log in   is NOT AVAILABLE for users other than the Administrator. Could anyone confirm that?

@ GT500

Perhaps you got a different result (CCleaner) as you are using a COMBO.

Quite a few issues have been reported in various threads. Hope a new version is out soon with all the issues addressed.

Just to add that , in my case for FF and IE the green border which is present in the Administrator log in   is NOT AVAILABLE for users other than the Administrator. Could anyone confirm that?

Run safer essentially runs applications with a restricted user token. So it essentially only does something for Administrator accounts as all other accounts use restricted tokens by default.