tsr

Over Kill On Security Software

Hi Gang:

Here is a question for our members, appreciate your insight.

I am running Hitman Pro and Trojan Remover as a "on demand" scanner. What is your opinion, is this a over kill?  Is Emsisoft Anti-Malware sufficient protection?   Or is this a good idea to have a second opinion??-In  regards to Hitman Pro there are 5 different Anti-virus vendors (which includes Emsisoft) scanning ones files????? :)   How important is extra layer protection???

Hitman Pro is a nice addition to have on hand for an on demand scan, but it isn't essential.

I tend to use it a couple of times weekly and the benefit is that it causes no conflicts with EAM.

I have no knowledge of or experience with Trojan Remover.

tsr-you pose an interesting question. There is no 100 % right or wrong answer. Let's just say it all depends, on you. If you are comfortable with what you use, then great!

In my opinion, smart computer security is a 2 fold deal, find effective, proven tools and use them wisely, then, do not be careless online (and rely on the tools to save your behind :blink: ). In the old days, it was easy to spot the "bad :ph34r: guys" because they all wore black masks-so much for it being easy these days!

But seriously, nothing in this world is 100%-I believe in a layered approach (I am not an A/V or A/M expert but I know what works for me). Utilize the tools at your disposal (again wisely) and you should be all set! :D  :D

You have to be careful when installing multiple security applications. Even though you have turned off any real-time protection in one or more of your security applications, they are still using system resources. Almost all of todays security applications install services that run at system and/or windows startup.

Sometimes you can disable these services and sometimes you can't. Depends on if the service is being actively monitored, by a "watchdog" service. If the service is being monitored you can turn it off all you want, the "watchdog" service will just re-enable the service and start it again.

Now with that being said, how you setup and utilize your security defenses is entirely up to you. If you are comfortable with you current setup, then by all means leave it as is. However, there is such a thing as Overkill when it comes to security software. A good layered defense includes Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Trojan applications, a good Anti-Malware application will provide more then adequate protection in those 3 areas. You also need a good Firewall, as long as you aren't engaged in "risky" computing habits the Windows Firewall is more than adequate. However, the Windows Firewall is not as robust as third-party firewalls and should not be relied on to protect systems that are used to process sensitive data. If you do any online shopping you will want a third-party firewall protecting your system.

• Upvote 1

Appreciate everyone's input on this thread!!! Its good to know we have some great members with good input on this issue. Thanks everyone for your help :thumbs: