Sign in to follow this  
trujwin

Random delayed starts of Programs

Hi,

This as I mentioned seems to be random occurence. If an application shortcut (example Duplicate cleaner) is double clicked slowly , the program seems to start and registered in the Process explorer but the GUI would not start.  The same if double clicked fast , seems to work. This seems to be a random scheme , but if the said application is excluded from the OA list , it starts 100% without issues anyway it is started.

Perhaps if an application start involves a string of processes , like starting another app , getting file list etc , is OA breaking the links , if they don't come in fast succession? No too sure ... just an observation.

While on this , it also affects applications started from other applications. LIke Download Accelerator Plus from IE or Firefox, or MPUI player from a P2P program. It affects randomly. Sometimes they start immediately , or mostly hang. But if the same is excluded in OA they run everytime without issues.

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

I will try to send the logs when possible. A small point here.. This issue is @ random and not for all applications and the exclusion from OA of the same tends to make it behave differently .So it does not seem to be a particular system related issue and I think more on the flow of quick permissions of various modules of certain applications by OA (most probably not auto-trusted by OA). I also have the running saga ;) of DC++ provoking repeated alerts everytime I start...

This is not found in XP based system...

Just to let you know, RapidShare has not been working here lately, so you may want to use one of the other services (or if the ZIP archive containing the logs is small enough, you could attach it to a Private Message to me on these forums).

Hi,

Just curious if anything being done on this. In addition to DAP , Mediacoder versions cause  random incidents of program started but further everything down the line including GUI missing.

Did you ever send us logs? I don't see a private message from you, and there's no link to logs in any of the posts in this topic.

OK Friend, you always catch me out don't you? ;)  Was indeed very lazy to get the logs. Never mind.. I will try to post it when I restrart remembering that. But that should not preclude your techies into probing into the probable cause , as I have mentioned the occasions /conditions they come up.  I doubt this is system specific..

I doubt this is system specific..

That is quite possible. Unfortunately I am not aware of any of our testers reporting this issue, and I have not personally experienced it, so we'll need debug logs before we can investigate further. ;)

Hi,

I have PMed the logs to you with the info. Sorry for the rather late response as I was away for long..There are 2 programs 1. Duplicate Cleaner , 2.Duplicate cleaner  2.6 which were accorded permissions to begin the first time.

On further opening they would not open (infact DC 2.6 was erratic in the first run itself). I hope you  can find the cause. It also affects other exes as well.

Hello,

I have updated to 1860. With Duplicate cleaner 3.0.1 the program appears started from the process explorer but gets stuck up with no GUI. If it is excluded it starts immediately. If the successive modules are not fast paced they are left suspended by OA. Sorry to bother , but this could be affecting other similar programs as well.

I do not think Users are anytime compelled to "Trusted and Allowed"  all their programs.Why should anyone trust eveyythinf basically for OA to overcome this shortcoming? As I discussed even earlier this issue happens 1. Only to some applications 2. Their modules are not swiftly followed one after the other.

For your kind info there are nearly 50% apps which are not kept as trusted , but performs well neverthless in my system.

I do not think Users are anytime compelled to "Trusted and Allowed"  all their programs.Why should anyone trust eveyythinf basically for OA to overcome this shortcoming?

This is how Online Armor is designed to work. If you trust a program enough to install it, then why wouldn't you mark it as 'Trusted' in your HIPS program?

What happens if I am not wanting to trust it. I had mentioned earlier that there are 50% of the programs in my system which are not trusted and they work fine. It is an obvious action of OA in blocking further modules of some apps without making them give an alert. I have been a fairly long time user of OA and I appreciate the efforts taken to address the issue. You may too at your end reflect of an possibility of an event I mentioned.I have been stating this wrong behavior only for some applications.

Would you be willing to get me Debug Logs from the current beta version showing the issue? I can append them to a bug report for Andrey to look into.

GT500 , I will try to send in the logs when possible. But you may recollect even the previous time , I had sent in the debug logs even the previous time too.Even in the logs only those actions which are permitted or denied could be reflected not which are blocked without a clue which is my complaint.Though unfortunately it is not reproducable? from your end , I can confirm that it is OA which suspends/kills modules that are not loaded quickly.It will do good to check from your end for that possiblilty.

... I can confirm that it is OA which suspends/kills modules that are not loaded quickly.It will do good to check from your end for that possiblilty.

I have forwarded this to our developers to see if they have any input on it.