slopes

2 processes same port?

I am trying to figure out  highjackfree using the tutorial,I am slowing getting there.

It says only one program at a time can use a port

I have 2 processes using port 1900 udp,I have a screen shot if that will help

Both processes are green and show nothing in state,but have pid's

As well, at times I have "system" ports 50332/33/35/36/37/41 with no pid's and state time wait

Are these for system and system idle processes in the "processes list"?

I haven't had much luck googling this

Anyone?

thanks 

May I ask what processes are using port 1900? In my example screenshot below (you can click on it to make it bigger), you can see that svchost.exe has port 1900 open.

As for the other ports, do they show a process that has them open? The PID isn't as important as the process name.

Here is a screen shot of the 2 1900 ports

thanks GT

The other  processes I asked about just say "system" no pid and state is time wait.

I'll get you a screen shot of that as well

I don't think the ports 49152 through 65535 are worth worrying about, unless an unknown application is trying to use them. Some Microsoft documentation says that some of these ports can be used by Remote Desktop, however these ports are the dynamic and/or private ports that can be used for pretty much anything, so it is impossible to say exactly what they are being used for without using a utility to analyze the network traffic. Since they are being used by the system, they are probably OK.

As for the two processes that have port 1900 open, they can't both listen to that port at the same time. If one is listening on that port, and one is sending on that port, then it will work OK. HiJackFree doesn't show either of them listening. If they do try to listen on that port, then the first one to open it will probably be the only one that will be able to listen on it.

Thank you GT,I think I will uninstall clearfi,we don't do any media or file/photo ect sharing at all

From what I have read I won't miss it.

Thanks again

Just as a quick note:

UDP ports don't have the same restrictions as TCP ports. It is true that only one application at a time can open a specific TCP port, but UDP ports can opt-in to a special mode that allows multiple processes to listen to the same port. If you are interested in more technical details you may want to look up "UDP multicast" as well as the "SO_BROADCAST" and "SO_REUSEADDR" flags. :)