MRT.exe location?

Steve1209

Hi All,

Monthly I get MRT.exe from Microsoft and do a complete system scan with it.  Needless to say if anyone has run it before it uses many system resources.  I have a fairly powerful system with an I7 CPU 3.2GHz and 12GB of fast RAM.  When I look in Windows Task Manager besides MRT.exe sucking up resources, I see A2services & A2Guard going crazy, I wanted to ADD MRT.exe to EAM to exclude it but I can't find it.  A simple search of my system finds MRT & it says under properties it is in C:\Windows\System32 on my Win 7 X64 system but when I use the browse feature of EAM to try to exclude it, it's not found in that location.  Am I going crazy or what?  I actually downloaded the file for X64 as it was released today, sometimes I just get it thru regular windows update but many months forget to run it.  A Google search said it might be in debug under windows, it's not their either...

Thanks for any help,   

Hi Arthur,

I'm NOT 100% sure this is a bug in EAM and I'll tell you why, I go to Windows Explorer in Win 7, I also can NOT find MRT.exe in the System 32 folder of Windows, I'm missing something but like I said I'd like to try to exclude MRT.exe from EAM if only I could find it.

Thanks for your post, hopefully someone knows where MRT.exe is located...

I'm NOT 100% sure this is a bug in EAM ...

Then please allow me to illustrate with a screenshot:

Basically, what the screenshot is showing is that when you browse to C:\WINDOWS\System32 when selecting a process to add to the whitelist in EAM on Windows 7 x64, it sees the contents of C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 instead of the contents of C:\WINDOWS\System32 which is why I reported a bug. It may be possible that this is intended (this is how WoW64 works), however I felt that it was best to report this so that the developers can take a look at it since there are ways to bypass this restriction of WoW64 and have access to the 64-bit files in a 32-bit application. ;)

Edit: If you don't see it right away, then look at the file size and date modified for MRINFO.exe in EAM's file selection dialog, and compare it to the ones shown in C:\WINDOWS\System32 and C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 to verify which one it is.

Hey Arthur,

Thanks for that, I think the way I figured it out was to add a NAME to the Whitelist (I'm not sure that's 100% correct way to exclude MRT.exe) C:\Windows\System32\MRT.EXE and that seemed to work for me, if it's a fixable bug, I'm all EARS!!!

OK, I have been talking to Fabian about this, and he has told me that the service (even though it is 32-bit) will handle the file path correctly when you enter it into the whitelist manually, but the GUI (a2start.exe) cannot handle viewing the real contents of System32 because bypassing the filesystem redirection of WoW64 means that it will cause a2start.exe to load the 64-bit shell32.dll instead of the 32-bit shell32.dll, and this it would horribly break things.

Arthur/Fabian,

Sorry You are now Explaining things that are go over my head, I ended up White listing MRT.exe and that seemed to work, now you are saying "I have been talking to Fabian about this, and he has told me that the service (even though it is 32-bit) will handle the file path correctly when you enter it into the whitelist manually, but the GUI (a2start.exe) cannot handle viewing the real contents of System32 because bypassing the filesystem redirection of WoW64 means that it will cause a2start.exe to load the 64-bit shell32.dll instead of the 32-bit shell32.dll, and this it would horribly break things.  Can U please explain further?

Can U please explain further?

The issue stems from the fact that Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a 32-bit application, and on 64-bit Windows there are certain things that are hidden from 32-bit applications. It is possible to bypass these limitations, however doing so when using a file selection dialog causes some major issues, and there is currently no known workaround for that. The Emsisoft Anti-Malware Service does not suffer from this limitation, and thus adding the path to the file manually as you did will work.