Sign in to follow this  
trujwin

Windows Update vs Online Armor

Just an hour ago I updated Windows and the list is given. I observed very high CPU in OA , and the updates were getting installed  very slowly (nearly stalled). I had a check at the Process Explorer , and OA was seen high not only in  the CPU but also Disk activity. I had to close OA and restart after I had done it. What would be the process to exclude in OA as this is happening almost everytime  . Earlier someone had reported high CPU while running uninstall of some software. Are they similiar?

Regarding Windows Update, have you tried putting OA into learning mode immediately after  update files have been downloaded and just as installation of the updates begins?

You don't  mention your OS. For what it's worth, I've found that updates to Net Framework on Windows 7 (x86) are always moments of high anxiety, particularly updates for Net Framework 3.5 and 4. NF updates are always slow and agonizing, with much disk thrashing, and many file openings and closings. On two occasions one or more NF update(s) has/have failed. Sometimes a second or third attempt will succeed. Twice I had to uninstall all Net Framework versions, run the Windows Installer Cleanup tool  (to make certain that all Net Framework references are removed from the system), and then reinstall Net Framework from scratch. All of this, I believe, is unrelated to OA.

So far, Net Framework updates on Windows 8 (x64) have proceeded much more smoothly, and without drama.

Hope this helps.

Regarding Windows Update, have you tried putting OA into learning mode immediately after  update files have been downloaded and just as installation of the updates begins?

You don't  mention your OS. ........

Hope this helps.

No it didn't. OS is in the signature and it still is. Learning mode in OA did not help in Windows updates , nor does it in some softwares which has high disk usage. The Process explorer credits OA with very high CPU, closing OA makes Windows Update install fast.

While there are instances were a program runs out of a system folder, most programs have their own folders, and thus excluding the entire folder is usually safe (and better at resolving issues than just adding the EXE's and DLL's).

But during Windows update does it have to be system32 folder which has to be excluded? (as it causes immense slowdown).This would be one mass exclusion then.. ;)

If you have problems with Windows Updates it is better to use learning mode for when you are installing them than excluding system32 folder.

• Upvote 1

If you have problems with Windows Updates it is better to use learning mode for when you are installing them than excluding system32 folder.

Yes initially tried that. But still there is a slowdown with a high CPU spike on OA's part. If I close OA the updation seem to complete very fast. Even for programs like moo0 disk cleaner which functions on the lines of CCleaner , OA shows unusual activity , when the files to be cleaned are huge.

I was installing 13 windows updates , and found getting stuck at the second update.It took nearly 10 min to even reach to that stage. The CPU usage against OA 1862 was around 50%. Putting it in the learning mode did not easen up. I had to switch off OA , and the all the updates were completed within the next 7 minutes. This has been reported for the previous versions too. So this behavior seems to continue with the latest version too.

Do you have an exclusion set up in Online Armor for AVAST? Do you also have one in AVAST for Online Armor?

Do you have an exclusion set up in Online Armor for AVAST? Do you also have one in AVAST for Online Armor?

Yes , they are mutually excluded. I think OA goes on a overdrive in this issue.Also a disk cleaner software Moo0 also faces interruptions from OA with high CPU spike when it does the cleaning operation.

Also a disk cleaner software Moo0 also faces interruptions from OA with high CPU spike when it does the cleaning operation.

Anything that is performing a lot of activities that OA would monitor would lead to performance issues if not excluded.

Anything that is performing a lot of activities that OA would monitor would lead to performance issues if not excluded.

That precisely is the contesting point GT500. Earlier versions did not have this problem.Also what needs to be excluded for Windows update? Take the case of a program cleaning some unwanted files..why would OA be bothered most about that as it does not make any change to the system. I am just suggesting an improvement to the whole process...

I'll have to ask Andrey about this.

Also, it might be best if we can give him some Debug Logs so that he has some debug information to try to find the cause of the issue with.

In 1866 the issue seems to have resolved , I think. I did a windows update and though the process was slow .did not find any unusual spike on account of OA.

It is just to intimate that five days ago I did a Windows update  and today installed VLC 2.0.6 x 32.  I could once again see a OA spike upto nearly 30% and very slow installation of the apps. THis is just for info on the status. Will try to get the debug logs when possible..

OK. Let us know when you have the logs. (I'd put a winking smiley face here, but that didn't go over well the last time)