Sign in to follow this  
dallas7

RunSafer & PortableApps/Child Processes

@ Emsisoft Support only, please...

In a typical portable application (i.e. Haller's popular Firefox and Thunderbird iterations) and, for this discussion, the launch of Firefox-portable.exe handles the subsequent launch of Firefox.exe.  When the former is set to RunSafer, the latter then RunsSafer, of course, as evidenced by the green border.

1)  If in Programs > Advanced options, Firefox.exe (and not Firefox-portable.exe) is set as RunSafer, will Firefox then, not having the green border, be RunningSafer?  That is, is the green border the 100% definitive indicator that an app is RunningSafer?

2)  In the scenario where Firefox.exe and Firefox-portable.exe are not configured to RunSafer in Advanced options and plugin-container.exe is configured to RunSafer in Advanced options, will plugin-container be RunningSafer?

Thank you!

1)  If in Programs > Advanced options, Firefox.exe (and not Firefox-portable.exe) is set as RunSafer, will Firefox then, not having the green border, be RunningSafer?  That is, is the green border the 100% definitive indicator that an app is RunningSafer?

There are instances where the green border will fail to display. The only definitive test would be to try to save a file in a restricted area, and see if the browser is able to do it. Since RunSafer essentially just downgrades the permissions of the program (in your example that would be firefox.exe) to a limited user, it would not have permission to create a file in your Program Files folder (unless you have altered the permissions from the defaults).

2)  In the scenario where Firefox.exe and Firefox-portable.exe are not configured to RunSafer in Advanced options and plugin-container.exe is configured to RunSafer in Advanced options, will plugin-container be RunningSafer?

I'm fairly certain that this should work (the plugin-container.exe should have downgraded permissions as expected), however the only way to know for sure would be to see if a plugin has access to save a file in an area where a limited user would not be able to (such as the Program Files folder).

Thanks for the tip for testing RunSafer.

I've confirmed that when only Firefox.exe is set as RunSafer, it will not be RunningSafer.  Firefox-portable.exe must be set as RunSafer.

The issue is when FFv19 hardware accelleration is enabled, a left click on a tool bar or the status bar results in a blacked-out pull-down.  Turning off hardware accel resolves that but at a costly hit in rendering performance for the sake of the green border.

The desired workaround is to disable "Show colored border on programs set to RunSafer" in order to enjoy hardware accel.  The feel-good benefit of the green border is an acceptable loss.  Especially considering "There are instances where the green border will fail to display."

The issue occurs on my i7-3770K Z77 AMD-HD7770 desktop running Win7hpSP1x64 and Catalyst 12.10.  (My i5-2430M HM65 IGP-HD3000 laptop running the same OS is OK.) 

Could be Catalyst 13 would fix it, but currently at 13.1 I'm reluctant to act as a test-mule for AMD.  Maybe I'll give 13.4 a go later on this year.

Cheers.

The Firefox issue has been known since version 18. Here's a topic about it, where I mentioned the results of my testing in this post. Basically it isn't an issue in vanilla Firefox, so just disable extensions one at a time and restart Firefox after each one, and see if one or more of them are causing the issue.

Thanks for the reply.

I did search the forum a bit but the topic named firefox 18 mp didn't jump out. Even so my original post was more contextually in the nature of RunSafer and the green border.

Sorry, I did fail to mention my screen shot was of a a clean portable install (no Extensions, Themes) and Plugins (Flash, Java, Silverlight) disabled.

Anyhow, my posting 3 here pretty much verifies your empirical conclusion in post 17 of PRS's topic that the issue is hardware - good call.  As well the observations of the users posting there mirror mine... acceleration or border, not both.

FYI: the black-out issue doesn't exist in Thunderbird 17, PDF-Xchange and few other apps I RunSafer.  And I should note that while I tested with Firefox, the issues exists in my primary browser, Palemoon 64-bit.  So we can most likely conclude it does also in all Geko 18 engine layouts??

Is there any chance you folks could build a toolbar button for Mozilla browsers that will indicate RunSafer?  I suggest the OA systray graphic with its gold border replaced by green or red depending on the status of RunSafer.

Tschüß!

... So we can most likely conclude it does also in all Geko 18 engine layouts??

That's quite possible. Firefox's UI is rendered by Gecko, so it would certainly seem to be the source of the issue.

Is there any chance you folks could build a toolbar button for Mozilla browsers that will indicate RunSafer?  I suggest the OA systray graphic with its gold border replaced by green or red depending on the status of RunSafer.

I don't think we have any Mozilla extension developers on the team. Fortunately you can mimic the functionality by creating a limited user account, and launching the application as that user. Windows 7 should be able to do this fairly smoothly, however you may have issues with saving documents in your My Documents folder unless you change the folder/file permissions.