Slow Startup (bocl)

bocl

"And Win7 x64 with only 4 GB is just not enough to have a pleasant computing experiences (with or without Emsisoft Anti-Malware)."

4Gb of RAM for Win7 X64 Pro is more than enough! (on my laptop I have 3GB and RAM usage is around 1-1,2GB).

However, RAM usage ONLY for EAM is 280MB , very high compared with any other AV.

Claudiu

I am wondering what Operating Systems on your Desktop with 512 MB of RAM, as modern day Operating Systems love RAM.

Microsoft Windows XP

4Gb of RAM for Win7 X64 Pro is more than enough!

Yes, 4GB RAM for Windows 7 its enough, my laptop has 4 GB RAM, I have windows 7 ultimate (plus about 4GB virtual RAM)

However, RAM usage ONLY for EAM is 280MB , very high compared with any other AV.

Emsisoft was very great antivirus for his usage, it had slow RAM usage than everyone, but now it's having some problems, high ram usage & and cpu.

Still waiting for my solution.

"It really slow downs startup of my laptop"

I would need to know more about your system configuration, for that I would need a System Information file (NFO).

To obtain a System Information file (NFO):

• On the Start menu (Windows), click Run.
  • In the Run dialog box, enter MSINFO32.
  • In the System Information dialog box, on the File menu, click Save.
  • In the Save As dialog box, make sure that the file type is System Information File (*.NFO).
  • Enter a name for the file. Click Save.
Right click on the NFO and select Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder

Attach the zipped System Information file (NFO) to your next reply.

Yes, I install it and uninstall due to high RAM usage; I replace it with MSE +MBAM.

I have a 2 X 1 year licences for EAM, only one active (363 days left), the other one not activated yet.

I can reinstall it if you wish.

Thanks,

Claudiu

Done!

1.Uninstall MSE 4 and run MicrosoftFixit50692; reboot; disable Win Defender

2.Uninstall MBAM; run mbam-clean; reboot 

Now I have only EAM and PCTools Firewall Plus.

See attached new System Information file (NFO). (New) and screenshot for RAM ussage: still the same high .

Thanks,

Claudiu

The PC Tools firewall has been discontinued by Symantec and is no longer supported. I recommend that you uninstall the PC Tools firewall and use the Windows built in firewall, while we continue to trouble shoot the system.

If you desire a third-party firewall we have Online Armor Firewall, paid and free versions.

Let me know if removal of the PC Tools firewall makes system performance better or worse.

Thank you for your answer!

PC Tools Firewall and Threatfire are not suported (and delivered) anymore as individual items, however they are integrated ABSOLUTELY THE SAME in PC Tools Internet Security.

PC Tools Firewall Plus is the best firewall for Win7 64  I could find and is the only constant in my system, and works fine with MSE4,MBAM,AntiVir Premium,WSA, and I am not going to remove it only to acomodate EAM.

I am sorry that I cannot continue the troubleshooting, but I am going to pass EAM for the time being.

Thank you for your patience,

Claudiu

Thank you for your answer!

PC Tools Firewall and Threatfire are not suported (and delivered) anymore as individual items, however they are integrated ABSOLUTELY THE SAME in PC Tools Internet Security.

This is the information we needed up front. Threatfire is a HIPS, EAM includes a HIPS and you were using Mamutu at one time, which is also a HIPS and included as part of EAM. Completely redundant features and causes conflicts. Threatfire and EAM are fighting each other.

Hi Kevin,

As you should be able to see from System Information file (NFO) provided I AM NOT USING ThreatFire in my system, was just to let you know about status of PC Tools Firewall Plus (and Threatfire) versus Symantec suport.

As you can see EAM is not " fighting" with anything, is heavy on RAM by itself using almost all  the time over 1/4GB of RAM.

"...you were using Mamutu at one time, which is also a HIPS"   For some reason I was convinced that Mamutu is a Behaviour Blocker and not a HIPS.

Claudiu

"...you were using Mamutu at one time, which is also a HIPS"   For some reason I was convinced that Mamutu is a Behaviour Blocker and not a HIPS.

A Behaviour Blocker is a HIPS.

As you can see EAM is not " fighting" with anything, is heavy on RAM by itself using almost all the time over 1/4GB of RAM.

EAM is most certainly fighting something. EAM's RAM usage is very light otherwise.

If you are not willing to disable or uninstall a security application, even briefly, to figure out what EAM is conflicting with then we cannot figure what the conflicts is and how to resolve the conflict.

Hi Kevin,

For the sake of an argument I restored an image of Win7 Pro 64 SP1 and NO OTHER SOFTWARE!!!

So, just to be clear , I have now Win7 and EAM ONLY, on a Lenovo R60 with 3Gb RAM.(see the System Information file attached)

As you can see the RAM usage is almost the same  (over 250MB) so, is only related with EAM and no conflict wathsoever with other software.(see the jpg attached)

On the other hand EAM has a huge signature databse (around 250MB) and if this is loaded in RAM so this can be an explanation.

In conclusion, yes, EAM takes a good amount of RAM in order to run,and,yes, will slowdown the start-up (in my situation +30sec)

This is easy to reproduce, so you do not need my feedback anymore.

Hope this helps!

Claudiu

Hi Kevin,

I am sorry, but there is nothing else I can do.

I provided all required info, I removed all,"so called", conflicting software, I installed fresh Win and EAM, yet you continue to say that on your PC EAM is taking 16GB of RAM.

A simple statement like this ("Mine is better than yours") cannot prove anything and will not solve te problem.

Claudiu

I provided all required info, I removed all,"so called", conflicting software, I installed fresh Win and EAM, yet you continue to say that on your PC EAM is taking 16GB of RAM.

A simple statement like this ("Mine is better than yours") cannot prove anything and will not solve te problem.

Claudiu

It is a simple observation, not a statement of superiority.

You have earned yourself a ban, for your arrogance and confrontational behavior.