JustinM

Oddity with E-MU 0404 USB

I'm using Online Armor Free 6.0.0.1736 on Windows 7 x64 with Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV/AM software.

When I switch the power on or off on my E-MU 0404 USB, Online Armor pops up with:

A program you have trusted has changed

Module:

\\?\USB#VID_041EPID_3F04MI_00#71b1d6ab00000#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\Audio

Parent Program:

C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32.exe

I've instructed OA to remember my decision, but it never does. Is there a way I can get it to remember this decision effectively, and if not, is there a way I can write an exclusion for a device ID? Obviously, I don't want to ignore regsvr32.exe in all cases--if I did, I may as well not have OA at all.

Could we get a screenshot of the notification?

Also, we'll probably need some logs to see what is causing this. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Our developers let me know that the file that keeps changing is the following:

C:\Windows\system32\emasio.dll

Would it be possible for you to check and see if this file really is changing each time Online Armor notifies about this? You can use a program such as MultiHasher to create a checksum from the file (we recommend at least SHA1) and if the checksum is different the next time you run it then that verifies that the file was indeed modified.

SHA-1 before I do anything: 0EF6D80C97CB7DB98C5760F42701535F89BA6A49

SHA-1 after turning 0404 off and waiting for OA to complain: 0EF6D80C97CB7DB98C5760F42701535F89BA6A49

SHA-1 after turning 0404 back on (and waiting for OA to complain): 0EF6D80C97CB7DB98C5760F42701535F89BA6A49

So...no. Besides that, the modify date is from October of 2010, so that also implies that it's not changing every time I touch the power switch. I can't just throw in an exclusion on a single file, so how can I get it to ignore this?

Just as a quick note, before I look at your SHA1 hashes, you can enable e-mail notifications by clicking the Follow this topic button in the upper-right corner of your forum topic. Here's a screenshot for reference (click on it to make it bigger):

... I can't just throw in an exclusion on a single file, so how can I get it to ignore this?

You should be able to add it to the Programs list as set to for Trusted. I'm not entirely certain if that will suppress the notifications, so I will let our developers know that the SHA1 hashes do not appear to be changing, and that the last modified date also does not appear to be changing.

After talking to our developers, I've opened a bug report on this, and they will take a closer look into what is causing it one they are able to.

You should be able to add it to the Programs list as set to for Trusted. I'm not entirely certain if that will suppress the notifications, so I will let our developers know that the SHA1 hashes do not appear to be changing, and that the last modified date also does not appear to be changing.

I threw it in there, but it just made a second entry. That file, by the way, is the E-MU ASIO Driver, v. 1.02.00.0023 (6.00.01.0001-1.02.0730). It's a beta driver because that's the only driver available for Windows 7 believe it or not.

... It's a beta driver because that's the only driver available for Windows 7 believe it or not.

It's not uncommon for hardware manufacturers to not want to create new drivers for an old device when a new version of Windows is released. I remember when USRobotics said that they would never make drivers for 64-bit editions of Windows.