fibercarbon

i have tried just about all of the other bootable scanners

This one works really well! live updates with hard wire Ethernet to detect latest detection's and a Scandisk feature to fix bad sectors/ repair os files.. :) Keep it up to date and keep improving! I consider a company with a GREAT boot-able tool that removes infections a great company overall and keeps the boot-able program consistently updated!  :ph34r:

my main bootable tools usually consist of 

Password Changes = for changing any user accounts password

Ability to start non-bootable PC for full access to it

start from a CD, DVD or USB flash drive (appropriate BIOS settings required)

Multi-boot or dual-boot functionality (DOS + Windows)

General system Recovery/Repair utilities for all latest versions of windows!!

TestDisk - a powerful hard drive recovery tool "like chkdsk /f /r to fix pcs not booting due to blue screens

system is updated several times a day so it always has the most recent security updates available.

Good looking graphical interface makes this disk very easy to use.

ability to attach to hard drives or use like linux to scan hard drive not attached to it to detect all possible types of infections/ problems causing it not to properly boot....

Very important one, Ability to copy partition sector by sector to an external usb drive or certain files to external drive if the drive isn't able to boot so you can easily re-install and migrate data onto new os. built in file manager tool to help you access and recover any vital data and files when a virus prevents you from accessing your hard drive via Windows or other operating systems.  :unsure:  

i know there are tons of these types of cds/usb images offered by almost every antivirus company but one that has the most features/ best REPAIR success rate and infection detection removal/ windows repair would be the winner of them all!!

That's all well and good, but I don't see a way to actually *make* that bootable USB drive. I just prepared an emergency kit and there is nothing on the USB key that indicates that the Emsisoft kit and interface will appear from boot.

As I understand the way many of the most pernicious malware works, it will have to be totally inactive so that it cannot detect, block or hide from anything that tries to "mess with it". If the OS that it has infected is active, then it can do this and therefore escape detection and/or removal - therefore, booting from something other than Windows is the surest way to get at it, as the malware itself is not active and therefore cannot defend itself. While I might be able to run the software without installing it, there is still the chance that the malware in question will be able to thwart attempts to remove it.

Or am I mistaken? I'm attaching a screenshot of the contents of the USB I created earlier today to show what I mean: no ISO, no Autorun, etc., so I don't see how it can be bootable.

Deets: Win 10 Pro x64, 16 gig RAM, Core i5 proc @ 3.5 GHz

Please respond ASAP.

Jim

Emsisoft Emerg Toolkit on USB.jpg
Download Image

The Emsisoft Emergency Kit USB is not bootable and autorun was disabled by Microsoft several years ago.  Even the most persistent of malware cannot hide there will always be something on the system that will show up in logs, be it EAM, EEK, or FRST.

Stapp: I thought the whole point of a bootable USB key was to NOT have to double-click on anything until you have loaded an environment outside of the infected OS.

Kevin: Would I be able to run the emergency kit from something like a bootable Linux OS USB key? Or would I be restricted to Windows in Safe Mode, which is not available on standard Windows 10 installation any more and I would have to jump through hoops in order to enable it on a machine-by-machine basis? I've looked up a couple of different ways to do it, and my own machine now has Safe Mode available from F8...but this doesn't help an already-infected machine and from what I've seen, I would have to "force-boot" a machine several times in order to get the recovery console.

This is all for a close friend who doesn't live near me and is not as computer-savvy as I am, but has a machine locked up via Ransomware. Any help you can give me wold be appreciated.

Thanks

5 hours ago, JimBatt said:

... but has a machine locked up via Ransomware.

We would have to know what kind of ransomware. Is it a screen locker, which makes the computer unusable until you enter a code to unlock it? Is it a crypto-ransomware, which encrypts files so that they can't be accessed?

If it's a crypto-ransomware, then I recommend uploading a copy of the ransom note along with an encrypted file to ID Ransomware so that you can verify which ransomware you are dealing with:
https://id-ransomware.malwarehunterteam.com/

You can paste a link to the results into a reply if you would like for me to review them.

Running EEK from a bootable CD/USB is not supported.  EEK is meant to be ran in a live environment while booted into normal mode.

USB keys can be made bootable.   I'can't list all the steps off the top of  my head,  but if you google it you will find instructions.

8 hours ago, Peter2150 said:

USB keys can be made bootable.   I'can't list all the steps off the top of  my head,  but if you google it you will find instructions.

You need to put a bootable OS on them.

In the case of EEK, this does not matter. You shouldn't run it from a bootable disk, bootable USB flash drive, or even connect a drive with Windows installed into another computer to scan it with EEK. Doing so is dangerous and unnecessary.

EEK has certain system file protection mechanisms that only work for the booted OS. They don't respect offline OS installs, and thus many of the protections put in place to prevent accidental detection or removal of system files will not function as expected.

On 5/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, Peter2150 said:

Let's see it as a feature request for EMSI.  Creating a RescueCD/USB or offering an external tool for that.

People switching from other AV-Tools might expect such a feature. WinPE or Linuxbased are offered by competitors.

But I'm not sure how many users/customers are waiting for such a feature.
Without a backup tool, the rescue promise is often falling short. And endusers often skipping creating and updating the boot-cd/usbstick.

Looks like a lot of work with little impact on the userbase.

11 hours ago, jedsiem said:

But I'm not sure how many users/customers are waiting for such a feature.

To my knowledge it's an extremely rare feature request.

It's also completely unnecessary these days, since you can detect and remove pretty much every modern threat while Windows is running normally. Safe Mode isn't even needed unless you can't start the scanner for some reason.