skypilotpete

CLOSED Online Armor causes sandboxed Firefox to freeze

I am running Online Armor Premium 6.0.0.1736, Firefox 17.0.1 and Sandboxie 3.76 64 bit (registered), Windows 7 64 Home Premium.

Online Armor appears to be blocking Firefox from connecting to websites correctly, when Firefox is run within a sandbox. What happens is:

1) I open Firefox within a sandbox, and my homepage (google) opens without apparent problems.

2) I then attempt to connect to a website, and it begins to open and then freezes, either before the website opens at all, or when it has partially loaded. The freezing always happens at a point when a message at the bottom of the page says "Transferring data from ....[website]" and that's as far as it goes. Firefox is frozen and I have to close it down from within Task Manager. This has happened with every website I have tested so far.

I have no problems with Firefox when it is un-sandboxed. I have no problems with sandboxed Firefox when Online Armor is completely closed down. I have tried un-ticking Firewall, Web Shield, Program Guard and Anti-Keylogger in Online Armor,  but that does not fix the problem. I have to close and shut down Online Armor completely before Firefox will work within a sandbox.

Sandboxie Settings - Firefox is included in the Software compatibility list. Within the Webbrowser settings, I have allowed direct access to Firefox bookmarks, history, cookies, passwords, phishing database, session management and the profile folder, to see if this fixed the problem, but it doesn't.

I am not using "Run Safer" for any of the programs involved.

I have seen multiple posts online saying that Online Armor causes problems with Sandboxie, but I haven't seen any fixes. Can anyone help me with this? I really don't want to stop using Sandboxie or Online Armor. They are both in my "indispensable" category.

It works just fine on my test systems using the latest Sandboxie and Firefox version. Is there a particular reason why you are staying with Firefox 17.0.1? Do you use one of the modified custom builds? If you do, does it happen with the official Mozilla builds as well? Do you have any other software installed that interacts with your browser?

The reason I've stayed with Firefox 17 is because I've seen many posts online reporting conflicts between more recent versions of Firefox, Online Armor and Sandboxie. However, given that you don't have these problems, I'll update Firefox and see what happens. I'm using the standard version of Firefox - nothing modified about it at all. The other real-time programs I have running are Malwarebytes Pro and Microsoft Security Essentials. However, given that the problem goes away when Online Armor is turned off and these are still running, I didn't think that I needed to check these. However, I'll trying turning them off and leaving Online Armor running and see if that does anything.

I have updated Firefox to the latest version, and the problem is still there. I have disabled Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials and left Online Armor running - sandboxed Firefox still freezes. The only way I can get Firefox to work with Sandboxie is to completely shut down Online Armor.

Are all components of Sandboxie listed as allowed and trusted in OA?

I have not used the environment of this case , but would not listing Sandboxie as trusted take care of all its components too?

I have reported another issue , where OA drops the permissions of the components if they  do not come in close and fast succession and the program is not marked as trusted. So in effect the process explorer will show the program as running , but the program's GUI will be absent or it is non-functional because all the components have not loaded. Only excluding or trusting is the work around , but it is at the cost of security.

I have always listed all components of Sandboxie as trusted. 

I trust Sandboxie

I trust OA 

I trust EAM.

If I have a program on my PC it is because I trust it.

If you don't trust a program, then OA will always deal with it as untrusted and this can lead to problems.

All components of Sandboxie are and always have been trusted on my computer.

On further searching I found a post regarding conflicts between Online Armor and Sandboxie (http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/9926-win-7-x64-online-armorsandboxie-flash-player-freezing/) and decided to give its suggestion a try. I added "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash" to the OA exclusion list, and my problems immediately disappeared. While this is gratifying, I don't know enough about all this to know if there are any downsides to this. For example, does adding flash to the exclusion list leave me vulnerable to flash based exploits?