Sign in to follow this  
ArdRi

Windows XP Log On Cycling

My machine was hit by a browser redirector.. I downloaded and ran A squared free. Apx 275 "high risk" items were detected. I quarantined them and upon rebooting windows opened to the desktop ( NO Explorer Toolbar) then suddenly a Box saying XP Pro is saving settings?logging off . Then logged on again and so on rather swiftly cycling like that. I am on another machine now looking for answeres. Thanks for what anyone can say.

Hi ArdRi, welcome to the forum

You probably quarantined something you were not suppose to among those flagged items.

Always save the report. and investigate first.

Please read this Sticky That may help in the future.

Have you tried System Restore ?

Try to reset PC to the Last Known Good Configuration

Please tell how that went.

Do you have desktop icons after the Reboot or you lost them too?

If you will succeed, then:

=======

Read the following instructions

START HERE, if you don't we are just going to send you back to this thread <--click

Prepare and post (attach) the required log files into Malware Removal section of the forum

(create new thread there)

Wait for reply from ShadowPuterDude, Katana, or JeanInMontana

for assistance and further instructions.

=======

Translation Links for Forum Instructions

My regards

P.S. Provide more info about your System Environment as in Forum Posting Rules as in #2)

Thanks for the reply and assistance.

I am or was running Windows XP SP3 on a 40 GB Maxtor HDD in a Dell Optiplex 270 with 2GB DDRAM

I can't take any of the steps you've outlined because as I tried to convey Windows will not remain Logged ON. It is going through a Load/Unload settings cycle..

I get to the desktop where personal settings begin loading then Windows begins Logging Off and at that point the Log On/Log Off cycle becomes very rapid..

I have an XP Pro SP2 CD I can use to get into the repair console but lack sufficient knowledeg of the commands to do much more than run checkdisk which I did..

So with no apparant way to access Windows I came here to see if there was experience with this situtaion. I can say that EXPLORER.EXE was in the list of items quarantined. I thought a new instance would be generated on reboot.. perhaps that is the problem and there is a way to enable EXPLORER.EXE from the Repair console command?

Most of the items Quarantined were in $ervice Pack Uninstall folder and were Titled Trogan32,Virus32 etc. I just assumed the program knew what it was saying...

Well I fixed the log on/Off Cycle problem by copying "userinit.exe" from a WinXP CD in recovery but there is no Explorer shell.

The desktop loads but no access to the drives or taskbar or programs.. I then tried to overwrite "explorer.exe" from the CD and there was abds error reported on reboot saying it couldn't be written to memory.. so I am trying to fi.x that now.

UPDATED*

I was successful getting Explorer to give me access to the disc. I will begin following the steps above and return with the log files.

... I can say that EXPLORER.EXE was in the list of items quarantined...

You are welcome ArdRi, and thank you for reply.

As for the Explorer - that's what I meant when asking those questions and referring to the [sticky]. I hope that from now you will be more careful when working with any security Software.

I'm glad that you were able to recover and I hope that all will be sorted out after attaching all required information into "Malware Removal help" section.

My regards