PeZzy

OAsrv.exe - elevated CPU useage over time

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8GB RAM

Online Armor, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

OAsrv.exe starts off relatively 'quiet' but over time it uses more and more CPU cycles, usually between 0 and 17%, until it stays permanently at 17% and slows down web browsing. I shutdown all programs but still see the activity. When I restart Online Armor, it becomes 'quiet' again. I have noticed this behavior over the past few weeks. I have been using it for almost a year and haven't seen this before.

Does this only happen when you are browsing the Internet, or does it happens regardless of what you are doing on your computer?

Do you have any other security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc) installed?

Does this only happen when you are browsing the Internet, or does it happens regardless of what you are doing on your computer?

Do you have any other security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc) installed?

I'm always browsing the internet and the problem starts gradually, it begins perhaps an hour or two after the computer is booted. When the problem is active, shutting down web browsers has no effect. I did have Kapersky IS installed awhile ago but it is supposidly uninstalled. I've been mainly using the trio of Online Armor, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

OK, please try the instructions at this link, and in addition to that please add Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to the Exclusions in Online Armor. Here's instructions for that:

• Click on the Start button, go to All Programs, go to Online Armor, and click on the Online Armor icon to open it.
  • Click on Options in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Exclusions tab.
  • Click on the Add button.
  • Use the little [+] and [-] icons to the left of folder names to open and close them, find the folder you want to add (in this case it will probably be C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware), click on it to highlight it, and then click OK at the bottom.
  • Close the Online Armor window.
Note that the Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor folders are as follows on 64-bit editions of Windows:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor
  • Upvote 1

17% is a funny number...   but a quick google says that the "AMD Phenom II X6" is a 6 core processor, and 17% is near enough 1/6th of the CPU resource of the machine.  That says to me that OA is probably in an infinite loop on one core.

...  That says to me that OA is probably in an infinite loop on one core.

You'd be surprised how easy it can be for a program to eat up 100% of a CPU core without getting stuck in a loop. ;)

It turns out that I had been adjusting my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and forgot to re-add the exclusion for Online Armor. I haven't had any issue since fixing that.

... I haven't had any issue since fixing that.

I'm glad to hear that. Please let us know if you have any further issues. ;)

An update to this issue: The problem reoccurred so I kept on restarting Online Armor when it occurred. Then one day I happened to open device manager and noticed a disabled Avast network adapter from a previous installation of the program. I uninstalled it from device manager and I think the problem has been solved.