Charyb

Excessive processor use

I recently installed a trial version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7.0 and need some advice.

I have a couple questions regarding CPU usage that I need help with.

1. How do I reduce processor usage during a deep scan? Often times during a scan, CPU reaches 100%.

2. Please see attachment for the next one. I had a problem where CPU usage went to 100% and the only way to stop this was to reboot. There were 2 of the same processes that went somewhat crazy- Security Center (a2start.exe).

Thanks

Have you tried ticking (and unticking if applicable) the "memory usage optimization" box on the "General Configurtion" page?

Perhaps that might provide some relief.

Activate memory usage optimization - When enabled this option reduces the amount of RAM being used by swapping out non-active data (such as signatures) to the pagefile. On older PC's this may result in system slowdowns. If you have sufficient RAM, you may wish to disable this feature to ensure maximum speed.

1. How do I reduce processor usage during a deep scan? Often times during a scan, CPU reaches 100%.

This is intended behavior. By default, Emsisoft Anti-Malware will create enough threads to use every core in your CPU for processing in order to increase the scan speed.

This behavior is customizable in Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7. When you select Scan PC from the menu on the left in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, there is a Performance settings link in the lower-left of the screen where you select what type of scan to run. When editing those settings, you can select what CPU cores the scanner is allowed to use, and how many threads it should create when running. All you need to do is change the number of threads to reduce the CPU usage. For instance, if your computer has a Quad Core processor, then change the number of threads to 3 in order to limit CPU usage to a maximum of 75%, or change it to 2 in order to limit it to a maximum of 50%.

2. Please see attachment for the next one. I had a problem where CPU usage went to 100% and the only way to stop this was to reboot. There were 2 of the same processes that went somewhat crazy- Security Center (a2start.exe).

a2start.exe is what runs when you launch Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on your desktop. Normally you would not have more than one instance of a2start.exe running at the same time. Do you see more than one a2start.exe running at once regularly, or was it only that one time?

This is intended behavior. By default, Emsisoft Anti-Malware will create enough threads to use every core in your CPU for processing in order to increase the scan speed.

This behavior is customizable in Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7. When you select Scan PC from the menu on the left in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, there is a Performance settings link in the lower-left of the screen where you select what type of scan to run. When editing those settings, you can select what CPU cores the scanner is allowed to use, and how many threads it should create when running. All you need to do is change the number of threads to reduce the CPU usage. For instance, if your computer has a Quad Core processor, then change the number of threads to 3 in order to limit CPU usage to a maximum of 75%, or change it to 2 in order to limit it to a maximum of 50%.

a2start.exe is what runs when you launch Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on your desktop. Normally you would not have more than one instance of a2start.exe running at the same time. Do you see more than one a2start.exe running at once regularly, or was it only that one time?

Thanks for the explanation regarding the scheduled scans. I had no idea of the percentages. I have dual core so I will change it to 1 and this will be 50% as I understand it. Correct? I don't intend on performing on-demand scans often, I am just trying to learn the program.

As for a2start.exe, I have seen this happen twice. The first time, which is the image I posted, my computer was very sluggish so I closed the GUI and could not kill these processes with task manager. I ended up just restarting the system. The second time I was able to kill one process with task manager and the other closed when I closed the GUI.

I'm not quite sure why both were there let alone both using 48%. At what point does opening the GUI require 48% CPU? And as for the  strange duplicate process???

Is there anything I can do to collect some log of this if it happens again?

By the way, thanks for replying so quickly.

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation regarding the scheduled scans. I had no idea of the percentages. I have dual core so I will change it to 1 and this will be 50% as I understand it. Correct? I don't intend on performing on-demand scans often, I am just trying to learn the program.

Yes, you are correct. Restricting it to a single thread would mean that it can never monopolize more than 1 CPU core, and would cap it at a maximum of 50% CPU usage. You can also restrict what CPU cores you want it to be allowed to use.

I'm not quite sure why both were there let alone both using 48%. At what point does opening the GUI require 48% CPU? And as for the  strange duplicate process???

It's possible that it had something to do with the glitch that caused more than one of them to be running at once.

Is there anything I can do to collect some log of this if it happens again?

Yes, we will most likely need logs from DebugView. The issue is getting it to happen when you want it to, so that you can collect the logs.

Also, since you are using Windows 7, there's a way to save a memory dump from a running process right from the Task Manager. Here are some basic instructions on how to do that:

Please open the task manager (either with Ctrl+Alt+Delete or Ctrl+Shift+Esc), switch to the Processes tab, make sure to click the button at the bottom that says Show processes from all users, and then find a2start.exe in the list. Once you find a2start.exe please right-click on it, and select Create Dump File. This will save the application's memory to a dump file in one of your temporary folders. When it is done, a message will pop up telling you where it was saved. Please make a note of the path to this file, and then click the Start button, go to Computer, and navigate to the folder that contains the dump file (there will probably be a lot of other stuff in there as well, however it should all be listed in alphabetical order).

You can cut and paste (or drag and drop) the dump file onto your desktop, and then ZIP it (if you don't have WinZip, WinRar, or 7-Zip then you can right-click on it, go to Send To, and select Compressed (zipped) folder). Please upload this zipped dump file to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc. and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (you can also send it to me in a private message), and I'll pass it on to our developers.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

I think it may have been a glitch with Outpost application rules. I didn't have Outpost in learning mode in the beginning.

Since then, I purchased EAM 7.0 and performed a clean install. This time I switched Outpost to auto-learn and have not seen this happen again.

I do have 3 questions if you could answer them here:

1. When does the countdown on the software key begin? At purchase or at insertion into the program?
2. Do you have any recommended exclusions that should be used between EAM 7 and Outpost? I'm not having problems, just wondering.
3. How many minutes does a person have to edit a post in the forum before it can no longer be edited?

Thanks for the instructions. I will post back here if it happens again.

And, thank you for the quick support.

Chris

1. When does the countdown on the software key begin? At purchase or at insertion into the program?

There are two things that can cause the license time to start:
  • Activating your product with the license key for the first time.
  • Registering your license key with your account in our Customer Center before activating a product with it.

2. Do you have any recommended exclusions that should be used between EAM 7 and Outpost? I'm not having problems, just wondering.

If you experience any performance issues, then adding process exclusions for the services that Outpost uses should help. If you don't know what those are, then I can give you a link to download RSIT, which will make a log that will reveal all of the service names and locations.

3. How many minutes does a person have to edit a post in the forum before it can no longer be edited?

If there are any restrictions on editing posts, then I am not currently aware of them. If you have any issues editing a post, then let me know. ;)