cheesekraft

Room Mate on same network is infected; am I at risk?

Hello, I am using the internet on the same connection (same router, both using LAN) as my room mate, he could not care less about computer security, and when I talked him into running a hitmanpro3 scan (he was not willing to download a suite, and i was only able to convince him to run this because it was one click) it came up with multiple trojans and nasty stuff. He downloads games and torrents and saves them on his computer with scanning.

I am using Emsisoft antimalware, but am I at risk somehow? Can the trojans jump onto my computer via the network somehow? Is it possible to use a firewall to be safe? Thank you. 

There are some infections that can spread over a network, however such things are usually prevented by having a software firewall installed on the computer. Technically, Emsisoft Anti-Malware should also offer a warning if something that is unknown or untrusted is trying to install on your computer without your knowledge, so you will probably get a few notifications from the Behavior Blocker in Emsisoft Anti-Malware if something were to happen.

This is what separates the good & not so good security choices. EAM does nag me a bit, however it's for my own good & view it as such. I don't like to create many rules (whitelist) with my security, because in doing so, one can be exploited.

Given the environment that you're in, I highly advise you to continue to run EAM & MBAM Pro (I use both of these), & keep your OA Firewall activated. When my stepson lived with us in the early 2000's, he wouldn't run security, he wouldn't update Windows or his browser, stating that it made his computer run slowly (he's stiil this way to this day). At that time, we were on Time Warner Cable & neighbors were getting infected, these were traced to our IP address & our internet service was suspended right then. Of course, that didn't stop him, he bought a high powered wi-fi anteena & piggybacked off whoever he could & got at least one of them in hot water.

This is a serious matter, only after he moved out, was our internet service restored. I realize that you're well protected, however there's major issues with sharing an Internet connection with one who is not only infected, but also visits seedy sites. If the IP is easygoing, they'll simply disconnect the service after a warning or two. It's the downloading of torrented software that may or may not be legal that would concern me.

This could become costly, if for no other reason, paying an attorney to prove your innocence. If you can swing it, it would be good to have your own IP, with WPA2-PSK security behind your router & keep your passphrase to yourself. Or go with a cell based IP, there are a select few who allows unlimited access for as little as $40 monthly. It may seem expensive, however it's far less costly than having to bail yourself out of a legal mess.

Cat