JeremyNicoll

Peculiar program guard alert

In OA's history I see some red lines saying something has been blocked:

Created:      07/04/2013 13:52:19
Summary:      Program Guard: brctrcen.exe -> Sti_Trace.log
Description:  C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe wants to modify executable file C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log
Event type:   Suspicious file(13)
Event action: Blocked(3)

The BrotherControlCenter software is something to do with a Brother all-in-one USB-attached scanner/printer which I sometimes have plugged into the machine, though not today. 

I'm puzzled by the description which appears to be classing  "C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log"  as an executable file.  Is that just because it's in C:\WINDOWS ?    It's an empty file, certainly not an executable.

Googling I find that  Sti_Trace.log  is typically found in random locations on people's machines and is thought to be something to do with the "Still Image Monitor" stimon.exe though descriptions of that which I've read suggests it's a Windows ME/98 program, and I'm running XP.

OA's Programs list does include STI.DLL described as Still Image Devices client (maybe the XP equivalent of Stimon.exe?).

I'm puzzled by the description which appears to be classing  "C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log"  as an executable file.  Is that just because it's in C:\WINDOWS ?    It's an empty file, certainly not an executable.

This is a bug, and our developers are already aware of it. ;)