jdo

What does a red dot on the icon mean

I shut down the guard during an install of a program. When I rebooted the computer, the antimalware icon in the status bar had a white circle with a red dot overlaying the shield. A second reboot removed the dot. What does it mean?

It means that all of the real-time guards (File Guard, Behavior Blocker, and Surf Protection) are not running. You can right-click on the icon, go to Guard state, and click Enable all guards when that happens, and it should turn them all on.

This suggests the user chose the 'Guard State -> Disable all Guards' option in EAM, whereas perhaps they might have been better to use 'Pause protection -> Disable for nn minutes, or Disable until reboot'.   

Which one makes sense most depends I suppose on whether you think an install process will need a reboot and then further actions, all of which you want EAM off for.  I tend to use the 'disable until reboot' option because it doesn't need me to remember to turn EAM back on later.

This suggests the user chose the 'Guard State -> Disable all Guards' option in EAM, whereas perhaps they might have been better to use 'Pause protection -> Disable for nn minutes, or Disable until reboot'.   

Which one makes sense most depends I suppose on whether you think an install process will need a reboot and then further actions, all of which you want EAM off for.  I tend to use the 'disable until reboot' option because it doesn't need me to remember to turn EAM back on later.

Good deduction! I didn't think to click on the Pause Protection entry. I just saw Shutdown Guard.

And thanks to GT500 for the explanation.