Update failed

FYI

I was looking at the forum when a window opened up with "OA update and a red X" - I assume the update failed for some reason..

I went to the GUI and updated manually, seemingly OK.

From time to time over the last week or so the update has failed, and manual operation was OK.

The next time it happens, would it be possible for you to take a screenshot of the message? Here's a link to instructions on how to do it. Note that we prefer that you save the screenshot as a PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image.

Once you have saved the screenehot, you can attach it to a reply by clicking on the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of the box where you type in your reply.

The next time it happens, would it be possible for you to take a screenshot of the message? Here's a link to instructions on how to do it. Note that we prefer that you save the screenshot as a PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image.

Once you have saved the screenehot, you can attach it to a reply by clicking on the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of the box where you type in your reply.

Will do, GT. Although I live on Murphy St, and his law often applies :)

That Murphy's always messing things up, isn't he. ;)

Bet your life he does :)

This morning I was unable to get on to the internet, and wanted to see if Banking Mode had been left on by accident.

Right click the icon didn't work, nor did any other click on OA icons. So my simple mind said "OA has locked up for some reason.Uninstal it and start again with a new instal"

Went to All Programs > OA > uninstal. The little green and yellow boxes did their thing, then nothing.

Went to Control Panel .> Add remove programs > Remove OA. The window initiall said "Size 154MB; Used - Rarely; Last used 7/1/2010

Tried the Remove function and got the error message C:\Prog Files\Tall Emu\Online Armour\uninstal 900.dat could not be opened, Cannot uninstal.

Remove error 5

Went to Set Program Access and Defaults. Didn't mean a thing to me, so went to the Add Remove Programs link in that window. > OA > and the window said Last used 26/04/2013. Same error as before about Remove error 5.

So I went back to a system restore for 1st April, did a manual update of Signatures and  Rules and all seems to be well now with OA.

However, the Avast Free anti-virus tells me that my trail period for Avast Pro has not been activated. That doesn't surprise me as I haven't activated the trial. I have posted on their forum to find out what the heck has gone on.

The only change I have made was to update to the latest version of Foxit Reader on the 23rd

Good old Murphy up to his tricks again. :(

You may need to add exclusions to prevent your security softwares from monitoring each other. This can help prevent performance issues and system freezing issues.

Here are some instructions for adding a folder to the Exclusions list in Online Armor:

• Click on the Start button, go to All Programs, go to Online Armor, and click on the Online Armor icon to open it.
  • Click on Options in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Exclusions tab.
  • Click on the Add button.
  • Use the little [+] and [-] icons to the left of folder names to open and close them, find the folder you want to add, click on it to highlight it, and then click OK at the bottom.
  • Close the Online Armor window.
The folder to exclude for avast! Anti-Virus should be C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast

As for how to exclude Online Armor in avast! Anti-Virus, the instructions I have are for version 6, and they have changed it since then. I am not finding any articles on how to do it in avast! 8, so you may need to ask on their forums to see if someone knows the process. If you can exclude everything in the following folder, then that would be best:

C:\Program Files\Online Armor

If you have to exclude individual files, then you will want to exclude the following files:

• oacat
  • oahlp
  • oasrv
  • oaui
All of those files are in the Online Armor folder located at C:\Program Files\Online Armor

I don't really want to exclude Avast in OA as I read in one post somewhere that Banking Mode doesn't work when that is done.

Why not giving it a try and see what happens? If you have the latest version of Avast on your system, it's very easy to exclude also OA in Avast: simply add OA folder (including subfolders) to the Global Exclusions list of Avast (Setteings/Global Exclusions).

So I went back to a system restore for 1st April, did a manual update of Signatures and  Rules and all seems to be well now with OA.

However, the Avast Free anti-virus tells me that my trail period for Avast Pro has not been activated. That doesn't surprise me as I haven't activated the trial. I have posted on their forum to find out what the heck has gone on.

This is a well known bug involving system restoring with the current version of Avast - it will be corrected in the next program release.

A member of the Avast team in a recent thread suggested to remove Avast and install it again from scratch (clean install: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility) to solve the issue - Just in case, you may want to save your Avast preferences and also add Avast to the exclusion list of OA first.

The idea of having Banking Mode functioning is to protect my banking activities - isn't it? So why neutralise it and leave myself at risk?

Exclusions are not permanent. If Banking Mode didn't work properly, you could always revert back deleting the exclusions and rebooting your system - this was the reason why I wrote "give it a try" in my previous post.

Obviously, mine was just a simple suggestion.

I wanted to also provide some useful info about your issues with Avast, since you wrote "I have posted on their forum to find out what the heck has gone on". That's all.

Regards

Exclusions are not permanent. If Banking Mode didn't work properly, you could always revert back deleting the exclusions and rebooting your system - this was the reason why I wrote "give it a try" in my previous post.

Obviously, mine was just a simple suggestion.

I wanted to also provide some useful info about your issues with Avast, since you wrote "I have posted on their forum to find out what the heck has gone on". That's all.

Regards

If Banking Mode doesn't work properly and my account gets emptied, I'm stuffed.

I appreciate the help about Avast, and have previously sorted it out via their forum

Cheers