Jump to content

Possible problems on signature server ?

Recommended Posts

Am setting up a new laptop for the family and when I just booted now EAM had approx. 13,2 million signatures.


EAM did a automatic update and downloaded 237 signature modules (roughly 70 MB)  and installed them - and now EAM shows only 3,8 million signatures ??



That´s 10 million signatures that just vanished after the automatic signature update.

Looking at the number of signatures, I guess that´s translate into the BitDefender part of the signatures that suddenly disappeared.


Are there any current problems server-side ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Fabian,


I had already tried a couple of manual updates to see if something went wrong and if a new update could correct it,  as you can see here :


The first two attempts did nothing.

No modules available and no change in signature count.

Also tried a reboot between the two attempts.


Just now after your reply, I tried a third time and EAM downloaded 30 modules (approx. 10 MB)  and after these where installed EAM suddenly showed 13,5 million signatures again ??


Really weird.

Something must have gone wrong during the first update today, and EAM refused to load the BitDefender signatures.

The next update must have corrected this and the BitDefender signatures where loaded again.


Perhaps "BD update.txt" got corrupted during the first download ?? 



Link to comment
Share on other sites

This happened again today on another pc here.


Turned on pc and did a update of EAM.

EAM downloaded all available updates and installed them - after the update there are only 3.9 million signatures, so again EAM doesn´t load BitDefender signatures after a update.


EAM Status after update :


Log of downloaded modules :


If you go through the update log, you will see that "BD/update.txt" is missing.


Tried a couple of manual update attempts (and a reboot, just for the sake of it).


Nothing changed.


Then finally some more updates downloaded on my fourth update attempt.

All of them BitDefender modules - but no BD/Update.txt among them.


So still no BitDefender signatures loaded in EAM, even though yet another batch of them just got downloaded.



As you can see, the signature count is the same on the two EAM Status screen screenshots even though there have been signature updates in between.

So clearly EAM signatures are loaded as expected - but EAM are ignoring BitDefender signatures.




From the looks of it this could be two separate bugs, that just produce the same problem.


On the laptop the BD/Update.txt was downloaded, but perhaps corrupted - so EAM didn´t load any BitDefender signatures.


On the pc the BD/Update.txt didn´t download at all - so EAM didn´t load any BitDefender signatures.


Perhaps some kind of safety check can be implemented against this kind of bug.

Loosing 10 million signatures at random makes me kind of nervous :P


Best regards,



(Wondering how much influence the counter in BD/Update.txt actually has on EAM with loading of signatures or if it´s just a counter for the GUI ??

Anyway, amount of actual loaded signatures and GUI signature counter need to correspond to be of any value to a enduser.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually the update.txt has nothing to do with whether signatures can be loaded or not. We don't even read it and neither does the Bitdefender Engine. Personally I update automatically every 15 minutes and haven't seen this particular issue even once. Have you thought of creating a Fiddler log while this particular issue happens? Fiddler logs are by far the easiest and most efficient way to diagnose any update issues as they allow us to replicate the update exactly as they took place on your end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this relates to Updates.txt or not was just guesswork on my part.


But fact is that two different pcs suddenly lost all BitDefender signatures after a update.

Without any warning.


I have of course thought of creating Fiddler logs, but since this happens at random it´s difficult to capture those logs.


It would mean that I would have to remember to stop everything internet related I´m doing ,once every hour and start Fiddler while EAM updates.

Then stop Fiddler and go back to what I was doing.

If the bug didn´t occur, then I can do the above again the next hour, and the next and the next ...

On two pcs, where one of them is not even mine.


That is not realistic.


I can´t just have Fiddler running for days, logging everything while hoping this happens sooner then later.


Funny thing - EAM has since my post today, updated twice more.

Last update had update.txt among the downloaded modules - and EAM are now showing 13,6 million signatures ??


So something is wrong at the moment with updates :(

But it happens suddenly out of the blue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That´s the problem.

There have been seven EAM updates attempts here after the update that made the BitDefender signatures disappear.

The sixth one corrected the problem. 


So as I wrote, EAM are now running at 13.6 million signatures again.


But for the hours from the bugged update and the following five updates - EAM ran with only 3.9 million signatures.


I guess I will have to try and remember to open EAM and check signature counter every time EAM has done a automatic update.

And run a Fiddler log right after the next time it happens.


Kind of takes the fun out of automatic updates :D - but loosing 70 % of my realtime AV protection at random is of course worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...