Bison

Problems, Anti-Malware won't start and BSOD after update

Hi,

My system details are ;
Windows XP Home SP3 32 bit
Emsisoft Anti-Malware (7.0.0.22)
Online Armour Premium (6.0.0.1736)
SUPERAntiSpyware Professional (On demand)
Malwarebytes Pro (On Demand)

Last night anti-malware updated itself and then a box appeared,
saying it had downloaded a new version
and i needed to click to restart it to apply the update, which i did.

That seemed to work fine with no noticable problems.
When i next had to restart the computer the startup was very slow.
When windows did start i had the following emsisoft error;

A major problem has prevented the application from starting.
Anti-Malware can't connect to the service application. Please reboot your PC and try again,
or contact support if the problem persisits.

I rebooted and the same thing happened, very slow startup followed by the error.
I rebooted again and anti-malware did seem to start but after a short time i had a BSOD,
the error code shown in event viewer is ;
04/05/2013 13:44:38 Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 a5ea9cd8, parameter4 00000000
I've attached the minidump.

I also noticed in the event viewer it shows ;
04/05/2013 13:44:06 Error The Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 - Service service hung on starting.

I ran the "Emsisoft Emergency Kit" but it didn't find anything.

I'd be very grateful for any help you could give me to sort this problem out.

Thanks
Bison

The minidump is unfortunately of limited use as the stack seems to be messed up. The process that was active when the crash occurred seems to be related to SAS. Can you try to uninstall it to see if the BSOD still occurs?

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply.

When you say the stack is messed up is there something i can or need to do to sort that out?

I've uninstalled SAS but that doesn't seem to have made any difference,

The BSOD only occurred the once when EAM appeared to have started normally and instead of the error message a BSOD.

It seems strange that SAS would be the culprit when I’ve had no problems up until the EAM program update,

and first time I restarted after the update the EAM error messages started.

Startup is still very slow, when windows does load the EAM icon appears in the taskbar, the program doesn’t seem to try to update,
and then i get the following error;

A major problem has prevented the application from starting.
Anti-Malware Guard can't connect to the service application. Please reboot your PC and try again,
or contact support if the problem persists.

I click ok and the icon disappears from the taskbar.

The PC then seems to work ok but obviously without EAM.

Thanks

Bison

When you say the stack is messed up is there something i can or need to do to sort that out?

There is nothing you can do about it except switching the type of dump you write. Since it seems the BSOD was a one time event and you can't trigger it somehow, and the fact that the existing dump points toward SAS I assume there is a problem between the somehow broken installation of EAM on your system and SAS. So we should focus on fixing the EAM installation first and then see if the problem still occurs.

Startup is still very slow, when windows does load the EAM icon appears in the taskbar, the program doesn’t seem to try to update,

and then i get the following error;

Usually the problem is caused by partially messed up settings. Would you mind sending me your current setting files? To do so, just copy all the *.ini files from the EAM directory to your Desktop, pack them using ZIP or any other compression format of your choosing, and send it to [email protected] Please don't attach the settings here as those files do contain private information that you don't want to share with the rest of the forum ;).

The problem is SAS 9.3 revision 2 (M2).  It uses a font that clashed with a Microsoft security fix for a Java weakness.  The BSOD occurs whenever that chunk of Java is  used--I got BSODs with Firefox soon after the SAS install.  When I rolled back the whole system drive to remove what the installer installed from SAS, BSODs promptly ended.

SAS Institutes knows about this problem, but it refuses to take responsibility for it.  Instead, it will advise you to remove a certain security update from Microsoft.

The corporate arrogance is extraordinary.

The situation has nothing to do with anti-malware.