Lucent

a2framework.dll can not be found

A dialogue box appears saying: a2framewrk.dll not found. Please download latest software package. See error message in attachment.

The file was in the Windows 7 Program Files directory, however, when I searched for it. But I followed the directions and downtoaded of the error message to install a new copy from Emsisoft. After deleting old and installing the new copy, same error message comes up at boot. And the file is found again under Emsisoft in Program Files (x86) directory. Otherwise there is no no visible difficulties.

What is the right action to take?

Thank you

So far, uninstalling and reinstalling Emsisoft Anti-Malware appears to be resolving this issue. Go ahead and uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware and restart your computer, and then download and install the latest version from this link.

So far, uninstalling and reinstalling Emsisoft Anti-Malware appears to be resolving this issue. Go ahead and uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware and restart your computer, and then download and install the latest version from this link.

The link you provided and the corresponding installation program does not seem to do anything. After starting the program nothing happens for a 30 minutes, all the while my cpu usage meter shows considerable activity after launch. I tried a second download of the program. Same results. What is this program doing? Why is it taking so long? What are your instructions enabling me to get EAM up and running?

Something must be interfering with it. Lets get an OTL log and see if it shows what might be happening. Please run OTL by following the instructions below:

• Click this link to save OTL onto your desktop (please make sure to click 'Save' instead of 'Run').
  • Double click on the OTL icon on your desktop to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan will take a few minutes.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two Notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. The first one (OTL.txt) will be automatically saved on your desktop next to OTL, and the second one will need to be saved manually.
  • Please make sure that both OTL.txt and Extras.txt are saved on your desktop, and then attach both of them to a reply so that we can take a look at them.

According to that log, the only thing that could be causing the issue would be Online Armor. Issues with Online Armor and Emsisoft Anti-Malware are rare, but we do have instructions for helping deal with issues. Give those instructions a try, and let me know if you are able to uninstall and reinstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware without any further issues.

I finally got EAM to install after three downloads from the link above. I installed and reinstalled as instructed but the same error message appears on reboot. I noticed when EAM was uninstalled, the same dialoque continued to come up on reboot. What to do now?

I have repeated the uninstall of Emsisoft Anti-Malware, the restart of computer, then the download, and install of the latest version from the link provided. This has had no effect on the error message. Upon the next restart, there it is again. It even there after the uninstall and restart.

Is this affecting the operation of EAM in some way?

Could you get me a fresh OTL log? Here are the instructions again:

• Click this link to save OTL onto your desktop (please make sure to click 'Save' instead of 'Run').
  • Double click on the OTL icon on your desktop to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan will take a few minutes.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two Notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. The first one (OTL.txt) will be automatically saved on your desktop next to OTL, and the second one will need to be saved manually.
  • Please make sure that both OTL.txt and Extras.txt are saved on your desktop, and then attach both of them to a reply so that we can take a look at them.

I'm sorry, I thought I had replied already.

Extras.txt is only saved the first time you run OTL. After that, you have to change an option to get it to save it.

As for the log, I don't see an obvious cause for the issue. Please try uninstalling Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and then follow the instructions at this link to start your computer in Safe Mode With Networking, then download the latest version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware from this link, and see if you can install it without any issues in Safe Mode With Networking.

I did as directed above. No change. Same error message.

Does this error message mean the program is not functioning to do its protection job? I ask this question before but haven't received an answered.

Please try to get back to me a little quicker.  

Thank you

Yes, this error means that Emsisoft Anti-Malware is not functioning.

I have a hunch that Process Monitor will tell us what might be causing the issue. You can download Process Monitor from Microsoft at this link. Here's instructions on how to get the information:

• Extract the Procmon file from the ZIP archive and run it.
  • Click Filter at the top, and then select Filter from the menu.
  • Click the drop-down that says Architecture (top left of the dialog), and change it to Process Name.
  • In the empty white field to the right type in the process name a2start.exe and then click the Add button.
  • Click the OK button.
  • The dialog should close, the filter should be applied, and everything that was being displayed in Process Monitor should disappear.
  • Go ahead and launch Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • After you see the error message, close it, and then go back to Process Monitor.
  • Go to File and Save, make sure it is saving on your Desktop (no need to change any other options), and click the OK button.
Please attach the Logfile that it saved on your desktop to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply. Please note that you will most likely need to ZIP the file before attaching it. If you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

I did as directed. However, the error message only appears at bootup. In fact, the very first thing thing to appear on the Window's 7 screen. There is not time enough to get the process monitor ready to record.

I am including the Process Monitor's data from when I start EAM from the Window's tray.

It only appears on startup? That could mean that's it's the service that experiencing the error, which means that the log would be empty. Lets try this:

• Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type in services.msc and click OK to open the list of services.
  • Find the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Service in the list.
  • Right-click on it, and see if you can click on Start to start the service.
Let me know if you see the error message when you do that.

I did as you directed. The start option was grayed out. Clicking on it had no response. No error message. EAM status was listed as started. Startup was listed as automatic.

In services.msc, can you stop and then restart the EAM service?  And if you can, do you get the message on the restart?  If so, try stopping the EAM service, starting procmon as suggested above, restarting EAM, and then saving procmon data again.

All options grayed out?   You'd not said that before....   I'd thought that Start was grayed out only because the service was already running.    Looking at services on my XP system though, I see the same thing - everything is grayed out.   I wondered if that might be because the start-type is Automatic, so changed mine to start-type Manual... which worked, but Start/Stop etc remained grayed out.   The OA services also have everything grayed out here.

As the service & EAM & OA are all running fine on my machine that suggests to me that the services are defined to the OS in a way that prevents them from being started/stopped easily, presumably to prevent users (or malware) from interfering with them. 

Jeremy in EAM  configuration general tab, if you untick activate self protection do the services options now become clear?

Ah.  Yes that works; with EAM running Stop becomes selectable.  I clicked it, the service stopped.  Then as you'd hope Start became selectable - I clicked it and EAM restarted.  Hopefully the OP will be able to do the same...

When I untick activate self protection, then go to EAM in services, the present status is start. When I right click start, all actions are grayed except stop and restart. Prior to this, all  actions were grayed out. When I right click restart the, the following message appears:  Service Control -- Windows is attempting to restart the following services on Local Computer: EAM 7 -- Service. If I click stop when status is start, same message is comes except stop instead of restart.

If I stop the service and the restart it again there is no appearance of the original error message. Also, the program doesn't appear in tray after restart and has to be manually started.  Still no appearance of error message. I am waiting 10 minutes after each action.

Lucent

Just so we can get things clear Lucent so that GT500 can continue giving advice if necessary..

1. You have unticked activate self protection.

2. You can now start the EAM service.

3. You do not get the a2framework.dll error message anymore on at boot time

4. Have you checked that EAM taskbar icon is perhaps hiding by clicking the little white triangle which is near the clock and says 'show hidden icons'  when you place your curser over it?

1. Yes, I have unticked activate self protection.

2. I can now  restart, and stop the EAM service when it is in Started status. Before unticking , all were grayed out.  The status of the service has always read started upon entrance of services. If I  stop the service, then the options are: start.

3. I do still and only get a2framework.dll error message at boot of the computer. I do not get it by first stopping the service and then starting (or restarting it) in services with a 10 minute interval between stop and start.

4. Yes, the EAM icon is not in "show hidden icon" accessed by clicking the little white triangle. I have to manually click on it to get it there.

Thank you for getting back so promptly.

Please try the following, and let me know what happens:

• Click on the Start button.
  • Go to All Programs.
  • Go to Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Click on Emsisoft Anti-Malware Guard.

Quite mysteriously the error message in question no longer appears. I re-activated self protection and rebooted it over a two day period several times. No error message appeared. No sign of any difficulty with EAM is apparent.

I want to thank everyone that has help with this difficulty.

Lucent

You're quite welcome. Please let us know if you have any further issues. ;)

Uninstall and reinstall worked for me. I only noticed the a2framework error today. Will update this post if it pops up again. Thanks!

Uninstall and reinstall worked for me. I only noticed the a2framework error today. Will update this post if it pops up again. Thanks!

This thread is now over a year old. If you are experiencing a problem, please start your own thread.