Dboy

Black screen after login Windows 8 x64

I'm setting up a new Sony Laptop Windows 8 x64. First program to install was Emsisoft Anti-Malware, then Online Armor. Then a message popped up, which I didn't write down, saying "....?...exe failed to execute". After this, I shut down. Now every time I try to boot up, it goes to the login, after I login (to either account) I get a black screen with pointer - nothing else! Google search shows many have similar problem using Avast. Help please! Dboy

I just answered this question for someone on our helpdesk, however your e-mail address is different, so I will assume that you're not the same person (please let me know if I am mistaken). ;)

Please follow the instructions at this link to start your computer in Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode, you should be able to uninstall Online Armor and restart your computer normally.

After your computer is running normally, please do the following before attempting to reinstall Online Armor:

Here's how to exlude Online Armor in Emsisoft Anti-Malware:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Guard in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the File Guard tab.
  • In the lower-left corner, just above Alerts, click on the Manage whitelist link.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and change it from File to Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the white box below Item and to the right of where you changed the Type to Process.
  • Enter the full path of the file to exclude (see list of files that will need to be excluded in step 8).
  • Repeat the last 3 steps until each of the following 11 files have been added to the list:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oacat.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oadump.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oahlp.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oamine.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\OARau.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\OAReg.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oascan.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oasrv.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oaui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\oaview.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor\unins000.exe
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
Once you have added all of those files to the whitelist in Emsisoft Anti-Malware, please go ahead and try to install Online Armor again. If you experience any performance issues, or continue to have the black screen issue, then please let me know.