ow7iee

OA in 64-bit Win8 Pro --- false C:\Windows\System32\explorer.exe detection!

Why does online armor re-add these entries after every windows startup???

l1iv.png

Also in autoruns section it detects:

explorer.exe, 0.0.0.0, (0.0.0.0)
C:\Windows\System32\explorer.exe
Hash(MD5): 219E677B3CC4BDE37251CD3F6FA2702A

There is no explorer.exe in system32. If I understand correctly from what I've read on several tech forums 64-bit windows automatically redirects a call from a 32-bit binary for explorer.exe at the C:\Windows\System32\ location to C:\Windows\sysWOW64\Explorer.exe .. since that is the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version of Explorer.exe is in C:\windows\

The reason I'm posting this is because I spent almost a whole day with several security apps and inspecting hijackthis logs over and over again like a maniac, trying to figure out if my computer had been infected with malware... I can't understand why online armor doesn't recognise the correct path, it would've saved me from a lot of headache...

Yes.. But why doesn't OA detect the real path instead of  /system32 ... It's well known that many trojans places a false explorer.exe in system32. If I didn't know that I wouldn't have spent a whole day inspecting my computers files and registry entries...

32-bit applications can't see the contents of C:\Windows\System32, and are instead shown the contents of C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

Would it be possible for you to upload that copy of explorer.exe to VirusTotal, and post the link to the analysis?

I would be happy to do that, the only problem is that it doesn't exist  :) No explorer.exe in system32 at all, no autostart entries in the registry points to that either! But if I delete the entry in OA.... Online Armor ads the system32/exlorer.exe entry again after reboot... I think this is not a virus or anything, maybe OA just registers the explorer.exe in 64-bit windows wrongly?

Try the copy that's in SysWOW64. I think that's what OA is seeing as being in System32, as that's how WoW64 works.

Just an FYI, I have been helping another user who has been having issues with OA showing incorrect information for files in C:\Windows\System32, and I posted some screenshots showing why. Online Armor's GUI is redirected to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 when it attempts to read C:\Windows\System32, and it cannot actually see the contents of C:\Windows\System32.