ryerman

Command Line Scanner: inaccurate documentation

I believe the online documentation for the /f switch is inaccurate and incomplete.
My testing shows this:
Paths that contain a comma (,) must also be put in quotation marks.
As well as a comma, one or more spaces can be used as the delimiter between multiple paths.
If the paths are in quotation marks, no delimiter is required.

It may be sensible to advise users to always use quotation marks.

Paths that contain a comma (,) must also be put in quotation marks.

I would believe that this is the way the command-prompt works, and is not due to a2cmd itself.

It may be sensible to advise users to always use quotation marks.

There are a lot of paths that do not require quotes. Knowing which do and which do not is a matter of knowing the Windows command-prompt. That being said, I can pass on your request for these changes to the documentation, however please note that I cannot make any guarantees that they will be implemented.

I would believe that this is the way the command-prompt works, and is not due to a2cmd itself.

Sorry, but that is incorrect.  Do a little test.

1. Create 2 files; C:\file.txt and C:\fi,le.txt

2. Open a command window

3. Issue these 4 commands, without quotations around the paths.

notepad C:\file.txt
notepad C:\fi,le.txt
a2cmd C:\file.txt
a2cmd C:\fi,le.txt

I think you will find that notepad will open a file with a comma in its path.

However, a2cmd will not scan the same file.

Therefore, it is not because of how the command prompt works.

There are a lot of paths that do not require quotes. Knowing which do and which do not is a matter of knowing the Windows command-prompt.

Agreed. But the documentation attempts to say which paths do need quotes.

The documentation is incomplete because it fails to mention that a path containing a comma needs to be in quotes.

Looking at this documentation, the examples all have quotes around the paths, and it is specifically mentioned that "Multiple paths have to be delimited by commas". If a comma is being used as a delimiter then it is implied that paths with commas will have issues, and if the examples all show quotes around the paths then that implies that quotes should be used for all paths. Admittedly it isn't plainly stated that you should use quotes for paths, and so I did forward your request on to our management.

I wish you would make up your mind.
First you say "There are a lot of paths that do not require quotes. Knowing which do and which do not is a matter of knowing the Windows command-prompt."
Now you say "that quotes should be used for all paths." (Which was the suggestion I gave in my original post)

Also, won't you acknowledge that you were incorrect when you replied "I would believe that this is the way the command-prompt works, and is not due to a2cmd itself."?

The documentation is wrong/incomplete when it states "Multiple paths have to be delimited by commas".  Spaces are also acceptable.  See the attachment.

First you say "There are a lot of paths that do not require quotes. Knowing which do and which do not is a matter of knowing the Windows command-prompt."

Now you say "that quotes should be used for all paths." (Which was the suggestion I gave in my original post)

Actually, I said that the documentation implies it, and not that quotes are required. ;)

Also, won't you acknowledge that you were incorrect when you replied "I would believe that this is the way the command-prompt works, and is not due to a2cmd itself."?

Yes, I was incorrect.

The documentation is wrong/incomplete when it states "Multiple paths have to be delimited by commas".  Spaces are also acceptable.  See the attachment.

I would suggest following the documentation. Using spaces isn't documented, and we cannot guarantee that it will always work as you expect.