Before I did a re-instal of OAP a few days ago, SpyBot S&D was listed under Hosts File.

It's not there anymore, and no option to add anything as all the buttons are greyed out.

Is it necessary for SpyBot S&D to be listed there, or is OAP looking after it all for me?

The Help page mentions the Host File but doesn't give any info about what/where it is.

queenslander,

Check if the option 'Hide trusted' is ticked. If it is, trusted programs don't show in the list.

If the option 'Hide trusted' is unticked, and the program still doesn't show in the list, it did not update the hosts file yet.

"Hide trusted" is unticked, as it always was.

When/how will the update happen?

Can I do something to "help it along"?

There have been no updates for S&D since my re-installation. Would that have anything to do with it?

queenslander,

i'm not familiar with S&D but i think that a manual update and clicking the immunization button would do the trick.

queenslander,

If a program tries to modify the hosts file and this is allowed or blocked, it will be listed in OA Hosts file.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/oa/Hosts.shtml

So, if S&D didn't try to modify the hosts file yet, it's not listed there. You may wait till that happens or try to force it with a manual S&D update and immunization.

If a program is not trusted in OA, and it tries to modify the hosts file, you'll see a popup and can choose to allow or block this and create a rule to remember this decision.

If a program is trusted in OA, there's no popup and the program that modified the hosts file appears in the OA Hosts file list.

More info about the hosts file; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Thanks again Rob.

S&D has just updated, and it's listed in OA now. I feel more comfortable now that it's there :)

You posted "If a program is not trusted in OA, and it tries to modify the hosts file,"

Does that mean that OA has it's own Hosts (but not shown in the list) and there is no need for S&D?

Does that mean that OA has it's own Hosts (but not shown in the list) and there is no need for S&D?

No, Online Armor checks which programs try to modify Windows hosts file. If the program is trusted, no popup will appear and the program appears in the Online Armor Hosts list automatically. Is the program not trusted, you will be asked if that program is allowed to modify the hosts file. If you choose to block or allow this and checked the 'remember my decision', a rule is created in the Online Armor Hosts list which shows if that program is or is not allowed to modify the hosts file.