larskhansen

OA firewall blocks EA automatic update

Hi

I'm running OA premium (automatic update) and EA full version (automatic update).

Back in start june I experienced a problem with OA firewall blocking the automatic update of EA. I then excluded the EA folder from protection in OA and the problem seamed to be solved. After the latest mager update of OA to v8 the firewall again blocks the EA automatic update. When I disable the firewall in OA I can get the EA update. The EA folder is still excluded in OA and there are no blocked programs in the OA firewall list.

Does anybody have an idea what to do?

I'm running OS XP 32 sp3 and the newest updates of both OA and EA.

Lars

Perhaps you could take EAM out of exclusions, reboot, and then make you have EAM listed as allowed and trusted (green in colour) in the OA programs list.

You may need to untick the box which says 'hide trusted' at the bottom of the Programs list page to be able to see the EAM entry.

Thanks for your quick reply!

I have tried removing EAM from the exclution list in OA. The only difference was, that now the EAM automatic update could not connect to the internet. When I have EAM in the exclution list the automatic update can connect, but does not start downloading. It shows 0 KB (0%) ofxxx KB.

In the programlist of OA there are no blocked or trusted programs. This is due to the fact that I have disabled the program protection.

Any thing else I could try?

Adding EAM to the exclusions in Online Armor should be all that you need to do. If you still experience issues after readding the exclusion, then please let me know.

Arthur,

Thanks for your respons!

The problem continues after having removed and added the EAM folder to the exclution list in OA.

When EAM isn't on the exclution list in OA the EAM updater tells me that it couldn't connect to the update server.

When EAM is added to the exclution list in OA the EAM updater tells me that it is downloading 0 KB (0%) of xxx KB and nothing more happens.

Lars

Lets get a Fiddler log and see if it shows the issue. Please download and install Fiddler 2 from this link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below:

• After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.
  • Launch Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Go to Configuration in the menu on the left.
  • Select the Update Settings tab.
  • Click on the Connection settings link in the lower-right corner.
  • Check the box that says Use proxy server.
  • Enter localhost in the Proxy server field, and then enter 8888 in the port field.
  • Click 'OK'.
  • Go back to the Menu on the left, and select Security Status.
  • Click on the Update Now button to start the update (Fiddler must be running when you do this).
  • After the update fails, go back to Fiddler, and to File, then Save, and select All Sessions (please save it on your desktop).
  • Please send the Fiddler log to me in a Private Message (do not post it in a reply).

Lets get debug logs from Online Armor, and see if they show what's going on. Before doing that, make sure to open the Connection Settings in Emsisoft Anti-Malware and disable the proxy settings.

Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try running the update in Emsisoft Anti-Malware again. After it fails, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

I've forwarded the link to your logs to our developers so that they can take a look at them. ;)