tuckeroo

emsi 8.0/updating

it seems like ever since version 8.0 was downloaded, when I go to update it, it will go anywhere between 5-20%, and then come up with a message of how it could not connect to the server, and to check proxy settings. If I re-start the update, it will then go ahead and download(although sometimes it takes two more tries before it downloads completely). I have XP home version, and only dial-up internet...is there a setting I need to check/change? I have noticed though, that at least it now downloads some things, and I don't have to start ALL over, which is a nice change from before  :]

We would need a Fiddler log to be able to see what is causing the issue.

EAM

Please download and install Fiddler 2 from this link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below:

• After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.
  • Launch Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Go to Configuration in the menu on the left.
  • Select the Update Settings tab.
  • Click on the Connection settings link in the lower-right corner.
  • Check the box that says Use proxy server.
  • Enter localhost in the Proxy server field, and then enter 8888 in the port field.
  • Click 'OK'.
  • Go back to the Menu on the left, and select Security Status.
  • Click on the Update Now button to start the update (Fiddler must be running when you do this).
  • After the update fails, go back to Fiddler, and to File, then Save, and select All Sessions (please save it on your desktop).
  • Please send me the Fiddler log in a Private Message (do not post it in a reply).
If the update doesn't fail, then just try again at another time, and hopefully you will be able to get us a log of the failed update.

I'm going to have to forward that log to our developers so that they can take a look at it.

In addition to that log, I think we're going to need a traceroute to our update servers from your computer, so that we know what IP address it is trying to connect to. I have attached a ZIP archive to this message called traceroute_emsisoft_update_server.zip, which contains a batch file with a similar name that will automate the traceroute. Please extract this patch file, and then run it (if your computer runs Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 please be sure to right-click on it and select "Run as administrator"). When it is running you will see a black window pop up for about a minute or two, and when it is done the results of the traceroute will pop up in Notepad. Please save the log on your desktop and send it to me in a Private Message.

Note: If for whatever reason you cannot find the log file to attach it to a reply, the batch file is supposed to save it in the root of the same hard drive that Windows is installed on. Normally this would be your C: drive, and the file would be in the following location:

C:\Emsisoft_Update_Server_Traceroute_Log.txt

Edited by GT500
Changed instructions to ask that the log be sent by Private Message.

Lets try this:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Go to Configuration in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Update Settings tab.
  • Change the number of "Maximum simultaneous update connections" to 1 instead of 5.
  • Retry the update and let me know if that resolves the issue.