ilowe

OA Pro 6.0.0.1736 slow boot, load failure

Using OA Premium 6.0.0.1736 with recently upgraded Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus and Win7 32bit.

This morning the desktop computer failed to get past the blue Welcome screen. I tried various tricks including pulling the plug. Then in Safe mode I tried a System restore, several times, which failed -- according to Microsoft help, because the AV needs to be turned off. I found that strange that Windows would not automatically turn off MSE. I think but I am not sure, that when I turned off MSE I was able to boot normally so I never did test the System Restore again.

You should know that one of my recent actions was, under Windows update, to upgrade MSE and by now I suspected this was the problem. Then, fortuitously, I went next door for lunch. Ten minutes later I heard the welcome sounds of Windows finishing its boot, and rushed in to see the following error message:

Error. Cannot start OA service.

So I tried setting OA to NOT boot at startup, and I was able to cold and warm boot. I could then start OA manually -- not my preferred. I want firewall protection first, then antivirus.

My next step was to try OA learning mode, even though the Windows updates had been done a few days ago with learning mode set and possibly a previous version of OA. I managed to capture the following error message: oaui.exe "L'instruction à 0x5b422406 emploi l'adresse mémoire 0x00000072. La mémoire ne peut pas être en état 'written'. Cliquez sur OK pour terminer le programme.

Again, it took about 10 minutes to boot, and it was extremely sluggish -- I use Tiny Watcher to report on new files etc and Tiny Watcher scanned VERY slowly.

I then noticed I could do learning mode and debug report, which I managed to save to the clipboard. How do you want me to send you this report?

Thanks

Ilowe

If you have Debug Logs, then you can ZIP the Online Armor Log folder (usually C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs) and send them to me in a private message.

Hi, I presume you got the logs and debug report that I sent privately. Meanwhile, here is extra information that may help. Other recent posts have pointed to Microsoft Security Essentials upgrade as a possible culprit. The trouble is that I do not know how to roll back to a previous version, especially given that I cannot get System Restore to work!

In case it is one of the recent patches, I only install a few at a time, so here is my shortlist of culprits. If I have time today I may just try uninstalling them to see if this is the problem. 

KB2862966

KB2849470

KB2870699

KB2868623

KB2868116

KB2803821

KB2863058

KB2861855

Thanks

ILowe

Unfortunately the logs weren't Debug Logs. Here are instructions on how to enable Debug Logs and send them to us:

Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

Our developers have determined that this issue is most likely due to an update to Microsoft Security Essentials, and we recommend adding exclusions to Microsoft Security Essentials for Online Armor, and vice versa.

To create an exclusion in Microsoft Security Essentials, please follow these instructions (note that you may need to restart your computer in Safe Mode before doing this, and you can find instructions for that at this link):

• Open Microsoft Security Essentials.
  • Go to the Settings tab.
  • Select Excluded processes from the menu on the left.
  • Click the Add button on the right.
  • Using the little [+] and [-] buttons to the left of folder names to open and close them, navigate to the Online Armor folder, select the file you wish to exclude, and click OK to add it.
  • Repeat the last two steps until you have added each of the following files:
    • oacat
    • oahlp
    • oasrv
    • oaui
  • Be sure to click the Save changes button in the lower-right corner when all of the files have been added.
Please note that the Online Armor folder should be as follows:

C:\Program Files\Online Armor

On 64-bit editions of Windows, it will be a bit different:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Online Armor

Here are instructions to add Microsoft Security Essentials to the exclusions in Online Armor (be sure to restart your computer if it is running in Safe Mode, as Online Armor will not run in Safe Mode):

• Open Online Armor.
  • Go to Options in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Exclusions tab.
  • Click on the Add button.
  • Using the little [+] and [-] buttons to the left of folder names to open and close them, navigate to the Microsoft Security Essentials folder, click on the folder to select it, and click OK to add it.
  • Be sure that the option to also exclude subfolders is selected before closing Online Armor.
The Microsoft Security Essentials should be in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files\Common Files, and it may be named Microsoft Security Client.

Thanks.

I've registered here just to be able to reply to this thread!

I've had this issue since Wednesday and it has been driving me crazy! I've been delving into areas of Vista I didn't even know existed (XML error reports, anyone?) but following the above post has at last got my logon time down from 20 minutes to a normal minute or so.

Thanks again, for allowing me to restore my sanity.

So the problem is reported as solved for Post 6 and Vista. Unfortunately it is not solved for my Win7 32bit. With the following differences after applying the exclusions:

1. On a warm boot, the loading took slightly longer, but at least OA loaded on reboot. Previously, OA had reported failure to load.

2. On a cold boot the loading took 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes.

In a few minutes time I will upload to techhelp my debug logs.

Confusing.  Mutual exclusions works for some but not for me.I hope the debug logs show something after the weekend when you have time to look at them. Makes me wonder if it is something else, perhaps one of the Windows Updates patches which is also interfering?

In the days of Dos this would have been easy to correct: play with the config.sys and autorun.bat and set the programs to load one after the other, with pauses if need be.

I would love to try setting MSE to manual load and OA to automatic to see if this works but I cannot find an easy way to change MSE.

Andrey let me know that MSE should have a folder in C:\Program Files (x86) as well, and maybe one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files. I haven't installed MSE to verify this, so I was just going off of knowledge of older versions that I had been familiar with.

If you have trouble finding all of the files, then we can use OTL to figure out where they are loading from. You can run OTL by following the instructions below:

• Click this link to save OTL onto your desktop (please make sure to click 'Save' instead of 'Run').
  • Double click on the OTL icon on your desktop to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan will take a few minutes.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two Notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. The first one (OTL.txt) will be automatically saved on your desktop next to OTL, and the second one will need to be saved manually.
  • Please make sure that both OTL.txt and Extras.txt are saved on your desktop, and then attach both of them to a reply so that we can take a look at them.

OK, I see Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on there as well. The log shows that the service for MBAM is not running, but it is set to start automatically, so please try the instructions at this link for adding exclusions for MBAM in MSE, and vice versa.

I also recommend adding the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder (C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) to the exclusions list in Online Armor, as that should improve performance as well.

I did all that, and the warm boot took 14 minutes instead of 12 minutes. If it helps, here is what Tiny Watcher said was new:

1:46 | *** warning: Process oadump.exe: Cannot obtain executable file's path
2013/09/25,11:41:46 | *** warning: Process wermgr.exe: Cannot obtain executable file's path
2013/09/25,11:41:46 | *** warning: Registry entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentVersion\Run\@OnlineArmor GUI" (created): New entry was set to <"C:\Program Files\Online Armor\oaui.exe">

I wonder if it was one of the other patches that I installed at the same time as the MSE update.

There were some bad patches issues by Microsoft earlier this month (for I would believe the third month in a row), but the bad patches were quickly pulled from Windows Update.

Would you mind uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials temporarily just to see if the issue gets better without it installed?

Wow! Superfast boot! I then loaded Malwarebytes Pro so as to give me some protection.

For the sake of others with this Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) problem, I am willing to work with you towards a solution. Meanwhile, I noticed that when I uninstalled MSE that Windows Defender clicked in. For lurkers, Windows Defender is also an antivirus from Microsoft -- it is if you like a less complicated version of MSE. I have manually upgraded Windows Defender by clicking through the warning flag that my computer was not defended.

Question: is this a reasonable compromise: Online Armor Pro + Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Pro?

Ten minutes later, I can confirm that Online Armor Pro with Windows Defender, on a warm boot, loaded extremely fast. I then load Malwarebytes Pro manually. This is not the ideal, but it is a workable compromise.

Question: is this a reasonable compromise: Online Armor Pro + Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Pro?

I wouldn't consider it ideal, as Windows Defender on Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP is not intended to perform the role of an anti-virus. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is also not intended to take the place of an anti-virus software.

Hi ilowe, I was having the same problem as yourself, OA & MSE conflicting even with the exclusions in place. I see you posted a few times that you upgraded MSE, I'm not sure if you mean the definition files or the actual program. Playing around yesterday I installed a new MSE on top of the existing one and it performed an 'upgrade' of the program. Following this I can boot fine with both OA & MSE running. The exclusions I put in earlier are still in place. Hope this helps.

OK. You have been very helpful. This is review my options time. 

1. Are you still working to find a solution? If you are, then I will delay trying to install another Antivirus. I used to use Avira Free, but changed it a few months ago when they had prolonged problems with updates -- automatic and manual was repeatedly failing. I presume Avira have this fixed now. 

2. I could see if I can find an OLDER version of Microsoft Security Essentials. This is because the conflict only happened on a recent MSE upgrade that was offered as part of Windows Update.

3. I could try reinstalling the new MSE and using Services.msc to disable it in startup, and load it manually.

4. I could upgrade to one of your other products that includes an antivirus, so the conflict problem would be solved. But, this defeats my current security policy of layers of protection from different products. I would like to keep the Malwarebytes Pro, which I set to load manually -- not at boot.

1. Are you still working to find a solution?

So far you are the only one who has reported that the instructions for exclusions are not working. Until we find out why they are not working for you, then we can't resolve the issue.

As for the problem caused by the MSE update in general, I think Microsoft is the one that will need to fix it (since they introduced the issue with one of their updates). Outside of the exclusions that we are recommending as a workaround, I do not yet know if there is anything else we can do.

2. I could see if I can find an OLDER version of Microsoft Security Essentials. This is because the conflict only happened on a recent MSE upgrade that was offered as part of Windows Update.

You may be able to uninstall the update that caused the issue, assuming that it was downloaded and installed as a normal Windows Update. I'm not entirely certain how the program updates to MSE are handled.

3. I could try reinstalling the new MSE and using Services.msc to disable it in startup, and load it manually.

I haven't tested to see if that is possible. You might be able to make it work that way.

4. I could upgrade to one of your other products that includes an antivirus, so the conflict problem would be solved. But, this defeats my current security policy of layers of protection from different products. I would like to keep the Malwarebytes Pro, which I set to load manually -- not at boot.

AVAST and AVG do offer free AV solutions as well, however there have been random issues with AVAST and OA in the past (I think exclusions resolve all of the issues that I've heard of recently). I haven't heard of any recent issues with AVG, however I also don't know how many people use AVG and OA together.

Thanks. I agree, it is a Microsoft problem but I cannot expect them to do anything.  My next step now I think is to try out your own Antivirus since it appears to be a separate product therefore giving the advantages of separate Firewall and Antivirus rather than an integrated solution. I note that I can try it for a month free. I will start another thread if I hit problems.