Arend

Online Armor Possibly Causing BSOD (Black Screen Of Death)

Greetings, 

As of 1 day ago (17-9-2013), I started getting the BSOD problem (black screen after login, movable cursor, working task manager but no explorer or icons).

Due to the sheer number of possible causes it took me a while to filter it down. I know believe it has something to do with the online armor. I believe so because in the msconfig services it is the only thing that i cannot check and have a viable boot. I have a paid and licenced version of both emsisoft antimalware and onine armor and both worked very much to my satisfaction until 1 day ago. I am now trying to reinstall online armor and license it again to see if this fixes my problem.

Should anyone know of this possible conflict or have any information regarding it i would be very gratefull if they shared it with me.

Will check back here in 6 hours.

Regards,

A.

Hello,

Do you have a minidump for the crash?

The minidumps are usually located at "c:\windows\minidump" folder.

If you have some for this crash - could you please zip them and attach the resulting archive to a reply? (Or send the archive to me via a PM)

Thank you in advance,

I remember that last night (September 17th) Online Armor did in fact updated. I saw the notification in my taskbar.

I can confirm also that today I faced the same problem (BSOD) and I managed to find Online Armor as the culprit.

In Event Viewer I have those error messages:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003.

as well as:

The Online Armor service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

and:

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Online Armor service to connect.

All have the same timestamp.

After logging in Safe Mode, I uninstalled Online Armor and booted normally to Windows.

Thank you for your confirmation elexorien, ill honestly admit i dont know what event viewer is but it is good to know that the problem is not isolated to just my laptop.

Hello ! SOLVED !!!

I confirm : the black screen is exactly 15minutes long ! and occur just after welcome screen.

I am using onlinearmor free on two different computers with both W7 x64 fresh install - only clean drivers...and Microsoft Security Essentials and one Premium on a third computer with no problems.

the trick is that there is something wrong between online armor and Microsoft Security Essentials since last update of both !

It tooks me hours to find that it wasn't a trojan and few re-install (thanks ghost !) to understand that the only way to end the problem is to disable Microsoft Live protection...otr uninstall Online armor wich is a worst solution.

I am not using MSE on the third computer because I have also Emisoft anti-malware installed and so, no problems !

So could someone at Emisoft check what's going ? 

I too have started experiencing this issue in the past couple of days. Black screen after logon for what seems like 15-20 minutes. I'm running the free edition of Online Armor Firewall on Win7 64bit. Disabling OA gets around the problem.

Hmm, I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials also, so the problem could be this combination, as BLC mentioned above.

For now, I have just unistalled Online Armor and moved on another firewall solution, until we have an official answer about this.

Have any of you tried enabling Beta Updates and running an update to see if the latest beta resolves the issue?

Hello GT500

You know I already lost hours to understand what was the problem and trying to install a "beta" whith a possible solution is not the way not to lose more time on this ! especially if the beta is not working.

So will wait that emisoft to find the solution; it should'nt be as complicated as that  to reproduce and test : just install last Windows 7 x64 version and last updates, install microsft security essentials and online armor free and see the windows event list and debug files.

To others : I prefer disable MSE because before to infected your computer a virus or trojan needs to access it...and online armor is doing a pretty good job protecting your computer from illegal access and install.

Have any of you tried enabling Beta Updates and running an update to see if the latest beta resolves the issue?

Ok I will do it this afternoon and let you know.

I have one question though: Will OA update itself to a stable version when it comes out while I run the beta?

EDIT: Just checked the Emsisoft change(b)log for a beta installer.

I guess you want me to try a v6.0 beta, not the v7.0 one right? But the link for v6.0.0.1798 installer goes 404...

This happened to me on my wife's windows 7 machine and on my XP machine. It took me all day to investigate XP including a full system restore.  On XP I have had to uninstall OA. On her machine I did a restore and then used msconfig and unticked nearly all the non microsoft programmes. This appear to work for her. Running mssecurity essentials on both.

UPDATE:

I have installed beta v7.0.0.1860. I can confirm that the issue remains.

It is almost certain that OA has a conflict with Microsoft's Security Essentials. I uninstalled the later and everything worked just fine!

Hello Everyone,

First of all - there were no program updates the last days besides the signature updates in OA.

The signature updates just couldn't give such a compatibility issue.

Secondly - did anyone try to exclude OA in MSE (and MSE in OA) ?

I do not have any issues running them on w7 if I set the exclusions.

(The proper way is to exclude oasrv.exe, oaui.exe, oahlp.exe, oacat.exe in MSE's "excluded processes", OA's folder in MSE's "excluded folders"; and to exclude the whole MSE folder in OA)

And, the last thing - please do not hijack other memeber's threads. This is vs. the forum ToS.

Thank you in advance,

Hello Everyone,

First of all - there were no program updates the last days besides the signature updates in OA.

(The proper way is to exclude oasrv.exe, oaui.exe, oahlp.exe, oacat.exe in MSE's "excluded processes", OA's folder in MSE's "excluded folders"; and to exclude the whole MSE folder in OA)

And, the last thing - please do not hijack other memeber's threads. This is vs. the forum ToS.

Thank you in advance,

First of all we are trying to solve an issue here which apparently has affected many fellow users using your software.

A way to do this is through trial and error and I succesfully reproduced the error. So, instead of being kind of judgemental you could propose possible solutions but not afterwards (referring to the "trick" to exclude OA in MSE)

As of now I am running Avira Antivirus, I will however reinstall MSE and see if it works.

As for the thread hijacking, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you in advance,

Ok...your trick is working...by the way...the update wasn't online armor side but MSE !

As for the thread hijacking, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hijacking a thread is when you post in someone else's forum topic about an issue you are having. Even if it is the same issue, it can cause confusion for not only our support representatives, but also for everyone who is trying to get help. This is why it is against the Terms of Use on our forums to ask for help in someone else's forum topic.

I can understand if you were not aware of the rule, however we do ask that everyone create their own forum topic to request assistance in the future. ;)

If you wish to take a look at our "forum rules and policies", then you will find them in the terms of use for the forums at this link.

Hijacking a thread is when you post in someone else's forum topic about an issue you are having. Even if it is the same issue, it can cause confusion for not only our support representatives, but also for everyone who is trying to get help. This is why it is against the Terms of Use on our forums to ask for help in someone else's forum topic.

I can understand if you were not aware of the rule, however we do ask that everyone create their own forum topic to request assistance in the future. ;)

If you wish to take a look at our "forum rules and policies", then you will find them in the terms of use for the forums at this link.

I must admit I have not read the ToS of this forum, but posting in a thread with the exact same problem with me, is the reason that public forum threads are for! Or at least, this is true for every other forum I have participated so far. But if you want to have multiple threads for the same issue and flood your forum, fair enough, it's fine by me.

Back to our subject, the exclusion of MSE did in fact worked. Thanks for the feedback. If I face any other problem, I will start a new thread.

I have just signed up to this forum solely to reigster my gratitude for the solution posted here.

I followed the instructions to exclude OA from MSE and vice versa. Don't know which worked but I'm glad to be able to log on without the 20 minute delay! (I have been trying various solutions for over 48 hours, so am now very relieved.)

I'm glad to hear that the instructions are helping. Please let us know if you continue to have issues. ;)