GregDashaway

Online Armor Conflict with MSE and Blue Screen of Death

I am starting a new thread here because AndrewF has said it would be "highjacking a thread" to add comments to a similar thread about the same problem. Let the flood of threads about this begin.

I have just spent five days trying to fix my computer, thinking that the hard drive was dying, because I was getting what I thought was a "blue screen of death" after the Windows Welcome screen. What I finally figured out was that I was seeing my usual blank green desktop screen without any of the icons or the Windows Start button, not a blue screen of death. I had waited up to five minutes for something to happen onscreen, but when nothing did, I assumed my computer was failing.

I have now read several posts below and realize that there is a conflict between Online Armor and Microsoft Security Essentials after a recent update of MSE. The desktop is just hanging, not failing. When I let my computer sit for 20 minutes, the desktop finally opened.

I see that there is a tentative solution for this problem: to exclude Online Armor in MSE and vice versa.

I have chosen instead to turn off real time protection in MSE, and that has solved the problem for the moment. I have spent too much time trying to understand this problem over the past few days to play with it further tonight.

I suggest that Emsisoft IMMEDIATELY send an email newsletter explaining this situation. Because Online Armor has worked for me so well for years, it didn't dawn on me that there could be a conflict. I thought this was the first time that I would not be able to find the solution for a computer problem, and that I would have to send the computer back for repairs.

Emsisoft, this is a major problem. I believe it is affecting a lot of your customers. Please, please, send out notification so that others around the world will not be in despair, as I nearly was.

I am running a PC laptop with Windows 7/64, Online Armor paid, Emsisoft Anti-Virus free version, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm glad I finally thought to check this forum, because it's the best-run forum on the web.

Thanks. -- Greg Dashaway

I suggest that Emsisoft IMMEDIATELY send an email newsletter explaining this situation. Because Online Armor has worked for me so well for years, it didn't dawn on me that there could be a conflict. I thought this was the first time that I would not be able to find the solution for a computer problem, and that I would have to send the computer back for repairs.

I will forward your suggestion to our management. ;)