gmgirl

HELP! Computer scan won't complete (frozen 3 times)

Hi,

I have literally been battling with my laptop all day. It suddenly slowed down mysteriously this afternoon and since then I've installed several anti virus programs which have all successfully frozen.

I have AVG anti virus free 2013 on my Samsung RF511 Intel 3 1TB 8GB RAM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit laptop which completed a full scan very slowly (it froze a couple times) and detected nothing! I then tried to install Avast free anti virus which contained a virus in the download link which AVG picked up and supposedly dealt with. I then downloaded Panda Cloud anti virus which again picked up the Avast virus and neutralised it. I ran a scan on it which moved soooooo incredibly slowing I stopped it. I also downloaded, ran, stopped and uninstalled Windows security essentials on reading that it only had 94.9% detection rate. THEN I downloaded Emsisoft Emergency Kit (whose logo I recognised as Asquared which had previously detected a virus when AVG failed to pick it up on an old laptop years ago). So I thought 'YAY! MY SAVIOUR!' But no...

Everytime I run the Scanner (first one in the list) it freezes. First time I ran a deep scan which froze at 71%, then I crashed and started my laptop again (it refuses to restart). Ran the scan again, it froze at 60%. I crashed and started in safe Mode with Networking and ran a scan but then read (from here) that I shouldn't run the scan in Safe Mode so I shutdown and started it in normal mode and did a smart scan this time! It froze at 50%. Crashed, started again, ran Windows defender (my laptop was bugging me too) quick scan found nothing, so I did a full scan. It crashed, plus I found its only for spyware on Windows 7. So I started writing a post on here, laptop froze just at the moment I tried to post my original message... Nice coincidence huh?

I thought Emsisoft Emergency Kit might have a conflict with another anti virus program but as both AVG (supposedly) and Panda Cloud both have a virus in their vaults I'm hesitant to uninstall them. I read on Cnet that Emsisoft Emergency kit is as near to perfect as you can get at detecting viruses etc and it's solved a problem in the past for me when AVG failed to but I just cannot run the scan without it freezing and I am literally at my wits end. It's 4am and I don't want to go to bed without typing this because I don't want to wake up and have to battle this on my own again and if nobody knows what to do, I'd rather know earlier in the day so I can take my laptop to someone to repair, because I can't bear to waste another day's work because of a *&*^$"%! virus!!!!!

So these are my details:

Laptop:

Samsung RF511 Intel 5 1TB 8GB RAM Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

17 months old

Laptop crashed an unknown number of times because it won't restart or shutdown in normal mode. Only works properly in Safe Mode with networking.

Anti Virus programs:

AVG anti virus free 2013 - full scan completed and nothing found.
Panda Cloud anti virus - scan stopped as extremely slow. Installed today.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit - frozen 3 times. Installed today.

(Out of date Norton Internet Security knocking about from purchase date).

Spyware

Windows Defender

HELP!!!!!

(I didn't post this in 'HELP! I'm infected!' because I can't complete the instructions in the 'READ THIS FIRST thread').

Hello,

probably the slow downs of your laptop are not related to any infections on your laptop.

What is the exact problem to run the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool?

• Run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST):
    • Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • Farbar Recovery Scan Tool will produce the following logs:
    • FRST.txt
    • Addition.txt