Nikilet

Looks to me like Emsisoft is stuck!

I happened to be playing cards (just desktop Hoyle) and noticed that the green arrow on my Emsisoft had been going around for a long time, so I opened it. The screen that showed was the one that I have attached here, showing an update in progress and 28% on the present item.

Fifteen minutes later the green arrow was still going around and when I opened the program the screen was exactly the same as it had been earlier, with seemingly no progress made. There is nothing wrong with my Internet connection.

Something that may be even more serious is that I have Emsisoft scheduled to scan Monday, Wednesday and Saturday and "Scheduled Scans" is ON. Yet as you can see by my second attached screenshot there hasn't been a scan done in 17 days! EEK! I think I need some help getting this straightened out.

I restarted and it appears to be ok; however, I'm still wondering why it did not scan for 17 days when all the settings are correct. I started a scan manually last night and now will keep an eye on it and see if it scans at the next scheduled time. I will let you know if it doesn't.

Thanks for answering.

It's possible that the Last Scan time is incorrect. Have you checked the scan logs to see when it last saved a scan log?

I have checked the logs and unless I'm missing something, Emsisoft is NOT functioning correctly. The last time it scanned was when I did the manual scan on 10-29. It hasn't scanned since then. Scheduled scans are enabled and I have it set to scan weekly on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday at 1 a.m. (see log shot)

It has not done a scan again for 4 days, and it shows that it hasn't updated for 2 days. I think it's supposed to update several times every day, isn't it? (see screen 1) I have auto updates enabled and have the interval set at 1 hour. 

It looks like it's trying to update right now but it doing the same thing I wrote you about before. It just keeps going round and round and has been on 15% ever since I noticed it perhaps 20 minutes ago. (see updating shot)

Unless I am missing something here, I'm starting to feel very concerned about this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will include a question completely off base here while I'm at it. I had an old laptop running Win XP which just bit the dust. It hasn't been that long since I purchased Emsisoft for all 3 of my machines. Will I be able to reuse the license for this XP on another computer if I get one?

I canceled that Emsisoft update that was in process but it must have started up again. I just noticed the green arrow was going around on the icon again so I checked it and it reads exactly the same as the screenshot I sent you earlier -- still stuck on 15%. 

For the update issue, restarting your computer usually clears that. In fact, because of that, I have not been able to get debug logs from anyone who has the issue.

For the scan issue, please try uninstalling Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and then download Emsiclean from this link (save it on your desktop) and follow the instructions below:

• When running Emsiclean, you will first be presented with a disclaimer. You will need to accept this disclaimer to continue.
  • Emsiclean will scan your computer for leftovers after the uninstall, and give you the option to remove what it finds. Please do not allow it to remove anything at this time.
  • In the lower-right corner will be a button that says Close Emsisoft Clean. Click on that button to close the program without making any changes to your computer.
  • Emsiclean will save a log on your desktop as it closes (it may take a moment for the log file to appear). Please attach that log to a reply for me to review (you can access the forum's attachment controls by clicking on the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply).

I will include a question completely off base here while I'm at it. I had an old laptop running Win XP which just bit the dust. It hasn't been that long since I purchased Emsisoft for all 3 of my machines. Will I be able to reuse the license for this XP on another computer if I get one?

Yes, you can activate your license key on another computer. The only issues that you should have when doing this would happen if the computer it was originally activated on was still running and the license key was still in use on that computer, which shouldn't be the case here.

I'm still waiting to hear back from you on the protection question. I do notice, though, that Emsisoft is in a mode of continuous updating and getting nowhere, until I restart. Then it's fine for just a short time. When I made my last post (above) to you last night, it was updating and showed 9% complete. Today it shows the very same thing. I assume that reinstalling will take care of this problem. I certainly hope so. But I don't want to uninstall and then be sitting here with no protection.

Can I save that log, like you ask, and then re-run the emsiclean and go ahead with removal, and then reinstall? Then I will come online and post that log you asked for. 

If you don't want to wait on me to look at the log, then you can go ahead and use Emsiclean to remove the leftovers. Just be sure that the Emsisoft Anti-Malware directory doesn't have anything else in it that you don't want to delete before you select it for removal (I know most people don't change the default directly that it is installed in, but some do, and sometimes it gets installed in a folder where there are other files from other software).

It's not that I didn't want to wait; just that I didn't want to be a sitting duck online with no anit-virus running. Anyway, I went ahead and used the uninstaller within Emsisoft, then the cleaning tool, restart and then reinstalled. The little green arrow is not running round on the icon in my taskbar, but when I click on "Update Now" I get the screen I am attaching. It would see to indicate that there are updates that have been downloaded and need to be installed. 

I would think if everything is up to date, that window would just open and tell me that Emsisoft is up to date.

When it is done, it should say that the update is complete. It may just be taking some time to process the updates once it is done downloading them.

Well then I think there may be something that is still not quite right.

When I click on the "Update" tab under "Logs" it shows as shown in the attached screenshot, but when I click on "Update Now' on the taskbar icon, it is still showing like there are updates to be applied; the same screenshot of the window I attached before.

Lets get a Fiddler log, and see if it shows what is going on. Please download and install Fiddler 2 from this link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below:

• After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.
  • Launch Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Go to Configuration in the menu on the left.
  • Select the Update Settings tab.
  • Click on the Connection settings link in the lower-right corner.
  • Check the box that says Use proxy server.
  • Enter localhost in the Proxy server field, and then enter 8888 in the port field.
  • Click 'OK'.
  • Go back to the Menu on the left, and select Security Status.
  • Click on the Update Now button to start the update (Fiddler must be running when you do this).
  • After the update fails, go back to Fiddler, and to File, then Save, and select All Sessions (please save it on your desktop).
  • Please send me the Fiddler log in a Private Message (do not post in in a reply).
Note that you may need to ZIP the log to be able to attach it to a Private Message. If you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Nikilet, I received your logs, and they show no update activity from Emsisoft Anti-Malware. It's like something is preventing it from opening a connection to our servers. Do you have any firewall software installed?

I really wish BlackSun would post under his own heading because it becomes too confusing (for me, anyway, to have to sort through his stuff to get to my own).

The only firewall is the Windows firewall. Nothing has changed since this has been installed. I'm totally puzzled as to what is going on because, as I said, I haven't installed anything for ages and it was working fine.

I just updated MBAM and SAS with no problem. 

I am running an update on the EEK and it is progressing normally and is at 92% right now.

(The reason i am running this is because of a couple of Pogo items that showed up in the scan and could not be removed.)

So doesn't it almost have to be something about Emsisoft Anti-Malware itself?

I just ran update for SUPERAntiSpyware free. There was both a program update and definition update and both ran without incident. Then I opened and ran Windows Update and that went ok too. I'm going to restart and then see if I can update, but sure don't want to have to restart continuously to keep things updated. 

So doesn't it almost have to be something about Emsisoft Anti-Malware itself?

That is possible, however the update code for Emsisoft Anti-Malware and the Emsisoft Emergency Kit are very similar, so it is possible that it is a server response or something else that is causing the issue.

Were you able to get the Fiddler log I asked for?

I thought you already received the Fiddler log when you posted this back to me: Nikilet, I received your logs, and they show no update activity from Emsisoft Anti-Malware. It's like something is preventing it from opening a connection to our servers. Do you have any firewall software installed? I sent you that log by private message, as you instructed. If you didn't receive it please advise.

After I restarted the updater was running but I had a strange window pop up right away. Before I clicked to allow I wanted to take a screenshot of it so I did that. Then when I went into the LOGS/Update it showed as terminated by the user. So then I ran a manual update and it completed and finally gave me the screen that says "Update process was successfully completed."

I was not doing anything when that warning window popped up except waiting for Emsisoft to finish updating. After I took the screenshot, then I did click the allow option. Maybe this warning window is a clue as to why the update isn't working properly. It means nothing to me but perhaps to you.

Now I will watch to see if it updates automatically.

NOTE: In that FRST scan I ran for the malware forum I looked in the log labeled "Addition" and it had the following section in it, which seems to correspond with that warning window:

Name: isatap.{BEE95638-3354-4B84-AB70-08DCFD2CBB1C}

Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Class Guid: {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Service: tunnel
Problem: : This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
Resolution: Update the driver

Sorry... I just took another look at that warning window and I guess the two don't match as the window talked about IAAnotif and not ISATAP, but I decided to go ahead and leave this on here just in case it does have something to do with all this.

Well, this is getting very old. After I restarted yesterday it updated manually once and did 3 auto updates according to schedule (at 8, 9 and 10 p.m.) and now it's stuck again on 7%. I would guess that since the last successful update was around 10 p.m. last night, it's been doing this ever since 11 p.m. 

Am I wrong to think that when it is not performing the updates, it is leaving me open to attack from new threats that are not being downloaded and installed?

Is there any possibility that Windows Firewall would suddenly start blocking Emsisoft? We really need to figure this out and I don't understand why everything else is updating correctly ... But not Emsisoft. 

I just received a message from BlackSun. I clicked the link which brought me to this topic, but I don't see what he wrote to me via email posted here. To him I reply that the things he wrote to me sound very knowledgeable, but he might as well have been talking to me in Greek because it all meant nothing to me. I may have deserved your chastisement for asking you to start your own topic since you pointed out that we would have two technicians tied up working on the same thing. 

While that is true, in my defense, your knowledge of computers is obviously so far above mine that I don't think we can come togther with our problems under the same roof because you will understand what is going on and I will get totally lost between you and the tech, trying to figure out what is going on and what is being said.

I am more concerned about this problem than I was before because of  your comment about "with this Problem being apparently kinda rare and potentially dangerous, it's important to look for patterns quickly to solve it."

to GT500: I hope you will get back with me soon on some of what I posted above, and about this post.

I have been doing some Googling and apparently my problem is nothing new. There were several links including this one: 

Help please, stuck on 8%

This person was in the Malware forum with the problem and maybe that's where I should be????

GT500: I haven't heard from you since last evening which has be a little puzzled. Since I restarted today around 12:30, it's been updating on schedule and as it should. This is the longest period is has worked for quite a number of days. I hope to hear back from you soon on some of the posts I've made.

I'm sorry about forgetting I had already looked at your Fiddler logs.

Lets get some Debug Logs, and see if they show the cause of the issue. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having with the update not working.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

Before following any of your steps, I want to inform you that Emsisoft has been updating on schedule and I've had no further problems with it. Right now I am working with ShadowPuterDude on what's going on with my browsers to slow them down and have them acting so unresponsive. He is aware that I was working with you on this updating problem. 

I'm glad to hear that the updates are working correctly now.

Go ahead and finish up with Kevin (ShadowPuterDude), and be sure to let us know if you have any further issues with the updates.