marzametal

Using a VPN

Hi... I was wondering if there is any documentation in relation to running a VPN whilst having OA installed on my PC? The only way I can get proper VPN access is to disable the Firewall aspect of OA. If the firewall is running, my original IP always shows. If the firewall is disabled, then the VPN fully takes over.

I noticed in the Interfaces tab that there are now two entries. One for the original connection and one for the VPN. However, when I move over to the next tab, I can't untick "hide inactive networks" to muck around with the trust/untrust settings because it is greyed out.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Marin.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Emsisoft EAM

Emsisoft OA Premium

MalwareBytes AntiMalware

AdMuncher Pro

Does your VPN software create a new Network Connection? On Windows 7, to view Network Connections, just click on the Start button and start typing network connections. The shortcut for Network Connections should appear in the search results.

Yes it does, it's called Local Area Connection 2... The original network connection (eg: turn PC on and use the internet) is Local Area Connection 1.

If you right-click on that extra Network Connection and go to 'Properties', does it have OA Helper Driver in the list?

OK, have you tried adding an exclusion for your VPN software to Online Armor? Here are some instructions for adding a folder to the Exclusions list in Online Armor:

• Click on the Start button, go to All Programs, go to Online Armor, and click on the Online Armor icon to open it.
  • Click on Options in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Exclusions tab.
  • Click on the Add button.
  • Use the little [+] and [-] icons to the left of folder names to open and close them, find the folder you want to add, click on it to highlight it, and then click OK at the bottom.
  • Close the Online Armor window.

Hi GT500...

I just added the VPN software to the Exclusions list. I also added the VPN software executable that popped up in OA to the EAM exclusions list. The problem/issue is still there.

I noticed this error came up in the VPN software...

Thu Nov 21 08:20:49 2013 ROUTE: route addition failed using CreateIpForwardEntry: The object already exists.

Thu Nov 21 08:20:49 2013 Route addition via IPAPI failed [adaptive]

Thu Nov 21 08:20:49 2013 Route addition fallback to route.exe

It could possible be an issue with the routing table, is this the same as the Hosts file or am I mistaken?

Thanks for all your help...

The routing table is the table of IP addresses maintained by your DHCP server (which is usually your router). If Online Armor is blocking anything related to that, then turning on the Firewall Logging and enabling the Advanced Debug Info should show it in the logs. You can do this by putting Online Armor in Advanced Mode, going to Options, and going to the Firewall tab.

marzametal,

Could ypu please check in Advanced mode, in Options > Firewall if "Filter invalid MAC addresses (according to IEEE OUI listing)"  is enabled?
If it is enabled, disable it and try again.

HOLY CRAP! Unchecking "Filter invalid MAC addresses (according to IEEE OUI listing)" worked!

My OA Firewall Status window shows the VPN IP, along with online IP checking websites! OH MY GOSH!

Thanks so much Rob and GT500!!!

P.S.: How do you think the above setting caused this issue? I am assuming that because the IEEE listing doesn't cover new VPN's, then it totally barred OA permission to let the VPN through (or vice versa)?