joe53

EAM Fails

The latest version of EAM fails on my Windows 7 Professional /sp1. I get the message "A major problem has prevented the application from starting. The Anti-Malware Guard can't connect to the service application. Please reboot ..."

After researching this message, I have:

- uninstalled EAM via my Control Panel and rebooted

- downloaded/run your emsiclean (version 1.2) and rebooted

- downloaded/re-installed the latest EAM, entered a valid activation key, and rebooted

All to no avail. I still have no EAM loading, and I still get the message noted above.

I have no reason to suspect malware infection. The system otherwise works well, and all my on-demand scanners (HitmanPro, Windows Defender, and MBAM Pro) scan clean. The only real-time programs that load at startup are EAM and MBAM, and they have co-existed nicely for years.

""

Which version do you have ?

Since I can't open the GUI, I can't confirm the version installed either. It is listed in my "Uninstall Program" list as version 8.1. At any rate, it is the latest version, since I downloaded it from Emsisoft today, and installed it.

Windows Action Center is alerting me that I have no AV installed. Since others are reporting the same problem, I really think Emsisoft should get on this ASAP and find a solution.

Of interest, I have the freeware version of EAM 8.1 installed on 2 other systems (XP/sp3 and Win 7/sp1) as an on-demand scanner. On both it works well.

Lets get some debug logs from Emsisoft Anti-Malware. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Try opening Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Once you have tried to open Emsisoft Anti-Mawlare, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

Thank you GT500.

I don't have the time to do all this today, but will try tomorrow.

Your instructions say "3.Try opening Emsisoft Anti-Malware." EAM will not open for me. Will it still be worth jumping through all these hoops under the circumstances?

Finally, I notice you now have 5 reports in the last day or so reporting the same problem and error message. It seems to be specific to Win 7 systems. Surely no coincidence.

Your instructions say "3.Try opening Emsisoft Anti-Malware." EAM will not open for me. Will it still be worth jumping through all these hoops under the circumstances?

Yes. If the service isn't running, then Emsisoft Anti-Malware will try to start it, and any errors should be logged. This will help in determining what is causing the issue.

Finally, I notice you now have 5 reports in the last day or so reporting the same problem and error message. It seems to be specific to Win 7 systems. Surely no coincidence.

Yes, this issue seems to have cropped up over the weekend, and we are currently trying to collect debug information so that our developers can determine the cause. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. ;)

OK, I'll proceed as instructed.

I can tell you in advance that the only Emsisoft service listed in services.msc is a2service.exe, that it is set to Automatic startup type, but is stopped. When I attempt to start it I get a progress bar that slows about halfway, then the following message:

"Windows could not start the Emsisoft anti-malware 8.0 - service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Thank you for the logs.

We have determined that this issue is related to our Host Rules. On certain computers running Windows 7 (specifically slower computers such as netbooks, or ones that are older or having performance issues for other reasons) the Emsisoft Anti-Malware service does not start in time, and the Windows system that controls services terminates the service because it took too long to start.

It is possible to replace the Host Rules with an older (and smaller) version to temporarily get Emsisoft Anti-Malware working again, however please note that once Emsisoft Anti-Malware updates its database it will download a new copy of the Host Rules, and if you restart your computer you will once again not be able to start Emsisoft Anti-Malware. If you want to try this workaround to the issue in order to get Emsisoft Anti-Malware working again, then you would either have to leave your computer on all the time (at least until we are able to release a fix for the issue), or you would need to disable automatic updates in order to prevent the Host Rules from being updated.

If you would like to try the workaround, then I have attached an older version of the Host Rules (host_rules.zip) to this message. You can simply save it on the desktop of the computer that is having the issue, and follow the instructions below:

• Right-click on the host_rules file you saved on your desktop, and select to extract it.
  • Find the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder, which should be in one of the following locations:
    • C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • Copy the a2hosts.dat file that you extracted from the file on your desktop into the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder (you can right-click on the file to copy, and then when looking at the contents of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder you can click on Organize and select Paste).
  • Select to Copy and replace when it asks you about the existing file.
  • When Windows asks you to provide administrator permission to copy the file, click on Continue to finish copying the file.
  • Once the file has been copied, please try launching Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop, and that will also start the protection.

Thanks for that info, GT500.

So basically the problem is that EAM has become too big for my netbook using Win 7 Pro, if  I understand the situation correctly. I guess 2 GB RAM, and a CPU @ 1.83 GHz, aren't big and fast enough.

The workarounds suggested- either leaving it on 24/7, or never updating EAM til a fix is found - are either impractical or unsafe respectively. Is there not some way to increase the timeout period to connect to the service (currently 30 seconds, I believe)?

Fortunately, there are other good free AVs available that I can switch to.

I am having this issue on a Samsung Series 9 ultrabook with an i7 and 8gigs of RAM. So i doubt that it has something to do with performance. But I will test this, as soon as I have access to the PC again - unfortunately might take a while though.

I added in the Host Rules file and that did fix it on my Dell Netbook and with the Auto updates turned off I was able to reboot and Emsisoft still worked. So my plan is to leave the Auto updates turned off and just once or twice a day do a manual update and then add in the Host Rules file after the update. 

Thanks for the information GT500 and the temporary work around. Let me know if you need any logs from me and I will see if I can get you some. And I'm running the 8.1.0.19 version other than the Host Rules file now. I would just need to turn on updates to get back to the original 8.1.0.19 to capture logs.

Jerry822

Thanks for that info, GT500.

So basically the problem is that EAM has become too big for my netbook using Win 7 Pro, if  I understand the situation correctly. I guess 2 GB RAM, and a CPU @ 1.83 GHz, aren't big and fast enough.

The workarounds suggested- either leaving it on 24/7, or never updating EAM til a fix is found - are either impractical or unsafe respectively. Is there not some way to increase the timeout period to connect to the service (currently 30 seconds, I believe)?

Fortunately, there are other good free AVs available that I can switch to.

HI !

For your information Joe, after reading about the problems i doublechecked that EAM is still working on a friends computer yesterday.

It´s an "old" laptop with Pentium dualcore 2 GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, upgraded to W7-64 , and EAM is (still) working normally.

So there must be some really critical "border" between 1.83 & 2 GHz.........

Our developers believe it is just the Host Rules (the list of malicious websites to block) that has grown too large. The amount of RAM your computer has is fine, however the 1.83GHz processor (especially if it is a laptop) would probably be too slow for our current Host Rules.

Microsoft does appear to have instructions on how to do that at this link. I will look in to creating a batch file that can automate the process.

Done. Batch files are in attached ZIP archive (one that sets the timeout to 60 seconds, one that sets it to 120 seconds, and one that deletes the workaround):

Your computer will probably need to be restarted after running one of these batch files, and you will need to right-click on a batch file and run it as administrator or it will not be able to change the registry entry it needs to edit.

Also, please be aware that this changes the timeout for all services on your computer, and not just the Emsisoft Anti-Malware service. It is best to delete it once our developers have been able to fix this issue.

The 60sec batch fixed it on that ultrabook, thanks :)

So thumbs up for that workaround and your theory .. although it's kinda weired, that the problem occurs on a PC that doesn't have a performance issue in any kind of way.

I guess I did not run batch correctly. I was able to implement by following instructions at provided Microsoft link. How will we know when Emsisoft has implemented a fix?

I guess I did not run batch correctly. I was able to implement by following instructions at provided Microsoft link. How will we know when Emsisoft has implemented a fix?

Program updates will be installed when there is a fix, and Emsisoft Anti-Malware should have a new version number. You can also watch this forum and this blog for update news (the update would usually be published as a beta first so that it can be tested).

Please note that a fix for this issue has been released in a beta update, and you can enable beta updates in Emsisoft Anti-Malware to download and install the update. Here's how to do that:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Go to Configuration in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Update Settings tab.
  • Enable the Use beta updates option.
  • Run an update in Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I'll try to make sure that all of the topics on the forums about this issue get updated to let everyone know when the fix has been released as a final update, so that you can turn off beta updates. ;)

That brings up a new question:

What happens if i turn on beta updates, download them and turn em off right again? will it uninstall the beta updates or not? and if not .. if any of those beta updates causes trouble .. will it get fixed without turning beta updates back on?

Akil,

If you check Beta updates, turning them on, u'll get the latest beta updates, if you uncheck them later your system will revert to the stable version on the next update.

Hope that helps,