xRedOnex

A major problem has prevented the application from starting

Hello,

I currently work for a Reseller of Emsisoft, I have a client who brought in his computer because of this issue and I figured I would drop off the logs here for you boys and gals lol.  Thanks again for working promptly at resolving this issue.

We have determined that this issue is related to our Host Rules. On certain computers running Windows 7 (specifically slower computers such as netbooks, or ones that are older or having performance issues for other reasons) the Emsisoft Anti-Malware service does not start in time, and the Windows system that controls services terminates the service because it took too long to start.

It is possible to replace the Host Rules with an older (and smaller) version to temporarily get Emsisoft Anti-Malware working again, however please note that once Emsisoft Anti-Malware updates its database it will download a new copy of the Host Rules, and if you restart the computer you will once again not be able to start Emsisoft Anti-Malware. If you want to try this workaround to the issue in order to get Emsisoft Anti-Malware working again, then you would either have to leave the computer on all the time (at least until we are able to release a fix for the issue), or you would need to disable automatic updates in order to prevent the Host Rules from being updated.

If you would like to try the workaround, then I have attached an older version of the Host Rules (host_rules.zip) to this message. You can simply save it on the desktop of the computer that is having the issue, and follow the instructions below:

• Right-click on the host_rules file you saved on the desktop, and select to extract it.
  • Find the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder, which should be in one of the following locations:
    • C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Anti-Malware
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • Copy the a2hosts.dat file that you extracted from the file on the desktop into the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder (you can right-click on the file to copy, and then when looking at the contents of the Emsisoft Anti-Malware folder you can click on Organize and select Paste).
  • Select to Copy and replace when it asks you about the existing file.
  • When Windows asks you to provide administrator permission to copy the file, click on Continue to finish copying the file.
  • Once the file has been copied, please try launching Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop, and that will also start the protection.

Please note that a fix for this issue has been released in a beta update, and you can enable beta updates in Emsisoft Anti-Malware to download and install the update. Here's how to do that:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Go to Configuration in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Update Settings tab.
  • Enable the Use beta updates option.
  • Run an update in Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Upvote 1

Thank You folks at Emsisoft for finding a fix for this issue, had to uninstall the old emsisoft but after doing a Reinstall and selecting Beta updates it did work thanks again!!! :wub:  :wub: :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: