johnwrites

reading recommended reading

You can also access it from within the Emergency Kit if you want to (it's in the lower-right corner of the Security Status screen).

people with 'free' version are forced to see this pop down from tray

Are you not able to close the news popup?

Are you not able to close the news popup?

i would prefer it did not appear at all. if having it appear is mandatory the prgram is not free. your news letter is just an ad.

Yes, technically it is an ad.

As has already been stated, it is currently only possible to remove the newsletter popup if you have a Pro license.

Technically it is not adware, since we do not display ads in the traditional sense. Free programs come at a cost.

We aim to provide only useful information through these notification boxes. No third party ads are displayed and no user tracking is involved with displaying these boxes. The news headlines and web links are transmitted to the software during online updates only.

News interval is usually 7-14 days and content includes helpful security knowledge articles and general important news about Emsisoft such as release of new products or new major version updates.

It's not meant to be any hassle to our users but since the freeware software doesn't come with an automatic update feature and we have no other way to communicate with our anonymous users, we feel that we need a way to transmit relevant news information once in a while.

As mik already outlined, these notifications can only be disabled in the paid version of Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

It is only useful information to you. It leads to your site which has your paid products. Don't insult my intelligence by saying you cannot disable it in the free version. You could if you wanted. The only reason you want to "communicate with our anonymous users",is to sell them paid products. GT500 said "Yes, technically it is an ad." And what is the purpose of an ad?

"we feel that we need a way to transmit relevant news information once in a while." It is not relevant news. It is not news at all. it is to bring attention to your paid products in the guise of 'information. And it is not once in a while it is every  update

It is NOT useful info to me. If i want the info I will search for it. It is  just an intrusive annoyance i have get rid off and your programme is not free if one must  have that .Not havng a disable option  in the free is the same as having a watermark or such like in a trial programme. It is adware. A free sample to sell paid products..And all it does for me is ensure i would never buy your paid products.

I am going to contact the advertising and consumer  authorities to find out if this can be mandatory in a 'free' program.

"these notifications can only be disabled in the paid version of Emsisoft Emergency Kit." so it is an ad supported programme

Johnwrites, since our company is not labeled "charity" or "non profit organization", of course, the purpose of the whole Emsisoft Emergency Kit product is to support sales of our paid products. But that's not a trade secret anyways. 

It's really interesting to see that you expect from us a continuous service (spending thousands of hours of development time + providing 24 updates a day to catch millions of threats + paying for update traffic on our servers + free online support) but you are not even willing to pay the tiny price of clicking away one small news notification box once in 1-2 weeks in exchange for that. 

If that offered deal is a bad deal in your opinion, you are free to avoid downloading our software. Especially for the Emergency Kit it's pretty simple to get rid of it if you already have it downloaded. Since the software is portable, means without any installation, you just have to hit the delete key on the whole folder.

Btw. almost all freeware product include the one or the other website link which 'technically' makes all of them adware. However, the common definion of adware usually is that third party ads are rotated in a special area of the software, tracking your every actions on the PC and generating click-payments for the software vendor through ad networks. Which is all not the case at Emsisoft.

Johnwrites, since our company is not labeled "charity" or "non profit organization", of course, the purpose of the whole Emsisoft Emergency Kit product is to support sales of our paid products. But that's not a trade secret anyways. 

It's really interesting to see that you expect from us a continuous service (spending thousands of hours of development time + providing 24 updates a day to catch millions of threats + paying for update traffic on our servers + free online support) but you are not even willing to pay the tiny price of clicking away one small news notification box once in 1-2 weeks in exchange for that. 

That is side stepping the point. The point  you claim this is a free program but since one is exposed to ads mean it is not. What other freeware progs do is not relevant. i refer specifically to your so caled free program with its intrusive ad and while you say you are computer professionals you cannot disable it. By all means supply your program as an incentive to supoprt sales but do not call it free it is not. And when you say the newsletter cannot be disabled in the 'free' what you mean is you refuse to disable it in the free. lets see what consumer authorities say

you are not even willing to pay the tiny price of clicking away one small news notification box once in 1-2 weeks in exchange for that.

to PAY the tiny PRICE in EXCHANGE is not something yo are obliged to do with a 'free' program. My issue is not that it is not good, it should not be described as free when the ad cannot be disabled

Apart from the fact that our notifications are far from being intrusive, I believe you have a misconception of the term freeware. Freeware almost always refers to software that acts as an advertising utility for paid products or services. The difference is only how well that fact is hidden by a developer.

Some developers don't hide it at all and add adware tracking software to get directly money, which is not the way we want to go from an ethical perspective.

Others see the software itself as the advertising for another software with more features, which is what we do. The security news are part of the free version's feature concept.

Others make freeware without any ads, just to get well known as a person in order to get paid contracts later, which is why many open source developers do what they do.

But the truth is, in all these cases the freeware is actually a marketing and advertising utility. Nobody can effectively live from air and love only, we all need to pay our bills and there are very few people on earth who just develop stuff because they only want to make the world a better place and don't need any financial support.

You are the one with the misconception of free. I am not talking of otheresoftware. Specifically yours with its intrusive box - and it is intrusive to me -over the tray. You could put a small link link in the GUI

post-24914-0-02536600-1409310863_thumb.jpg
Download Image

Doesn't the word "free" mean you are not paying for it? Seeing a quick news popup, even if you consider it an ad, is still "free", correct?

Doesn't the word "free" mean you are not paying for it? Seeing a quick news popup, even if you consider it an ad, is still "free", correct?

it is not a news pop up it is an advert. If it is news why does it link to your site. Why not news in general about what is happening? This is news http://news.google.ie/

Your pop up is an advert

Do you really expect people to believe your pop up is news LOL. It is an ad

The word free means there is no obligation on the recipient. No obligation at all,monetary or otherwise. Not even to see a pop up. Someone here confirmed it is not free when they said the pop up  cannot be disabled in the 'free' version.If it is free why not put a link in the GUI as my screenshot, people who want to read your 'news' can click it. Promote your programs but do not call something free when it is not

Free = http://www.thefreedictionary.com/free

I am getting rid of your 'free' program

Free

Adverb

• In a free manner; without restraint.
  • Without charge.
You may use EEK, for personal use, freely without monetary fees of any sort.  A small, occasional pop-up in the lower right corner of your screen does not impose any cost except for the minuscule effort required to close the window; that will close it self after a few seconds.