K24z3

CLOSED Firefox 25.0 & now 25.0.1 refuse to RunSafer.

Since updating to Firefox 25.0, I have been unable to get Firefox to run safer.

During the Firefox 25.0 install one of the OA popups had a check box marked RunSafer, which I checked, but Firefox was not in RunSafer mode when it first started up. I closed Firefox and went to the OA config page and marked firefox.exe as RunSafer in the Programs tab. This has always worked in the past to get a program to RunSafer. Not this time. Still no RunSafer. I went back in to OA's Programs tab and marked every file in the list associated with Firefox as RunSafer, and still no result. Tonight Firefox updated to ver. 25.0.1, which I hoped might have some effect on the issue, alas, Firefox will still not RunSafer. What am I missing here? Any thoughts?

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem with launching Firefox in RunSafer. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

During the Firefox 25.0 install one of the OA popups had a check box marked RunSafer, which I checked

I believe it's not a good idea to run-safer FF components during an install or upgrade. It might cause some issues, in my opinion.

I believe it's not a good idea to run-safer FF components during an install or upgrade. It might cause some issues, in my opinion.

Nick makes a good point.  I only put FF into run safer mode after installations are completed.   That said, it does revert to run normal oftentimes on its own after various events, such as certain plug-ins being employed (Flash, etc.) and other instances that I can't specifically identify.

This never used to happen until relatively recently. (WIthin the last year or so.)   Fortunately the Sandboxie setting for drop rights does not have the same issue.

I forgot to mention that I've seen the same issue on my father's computer. He said it started with FIrefox 25. I didn't test it, but it could be only a problem with the coloured borders  - perhaps, the program is running safer, but the coloured borders are not shown?

It's not my computer and I cannot check it at the moment.

System Info: XP SP3 with the current builds of Avast! Free, Firefox, OA Free.

Thanks, blues.
By the way, is Sysinternals' Process Explorer the only easy way to check if a program set to RunSafer is "running safer"?

By the way, is Sysinternals' Process Explorer the only easy way to check if a program set to RunSafer is "running safer"?

The Windows Task Manager will tell you what user account a program is running under, however RunSafer doesn't really work by using a separate user account (at least not as far as I am aware). My understanding is that it just reduces the permissions that the program is allowed to execute with, which the Windows Task Manager wouldn't show, so Process Explorer may be the only easy way to find out.

so Process Explorer may be the only easy way to find out.

Thanks, Arthur. What about trying to download a file in the Windows main folder?

I'm asking because my father has no idea how to use Process Explorer.

Thanks, Arthur. What about trying to download a file in the Windows main folder?

That depends on whether or not the browser could do that when not running in RunSafer mode.

Of course, the same applies to the Program Files folder. ;)

I asked my father to try to download a file in C:\WINDOWS using Firefox 25.0.1 - I checked that Firefox cannot download any files in C:\WINDOWS when running in RunSafer mode.

So I can now confirm that, as for my father's system, the problem is that sometimes Firefox doesn't show the green borders - but it still runs in RunSafer mode.

He noticed that opening Thunderbird (set to RunSafer) before Firefox prevents the missing green borders in Firefox.

Hope this might help.

System Information:
Win XP Pro SP3 (Hardware DEP)
Avast! Free AV 9.0.2008
Online Armor Free 7.0.0.1866 (Web Shield - off)

Firefox 25.0.1 set to Runsafer