Sign in to follow this  
trujwin

CLOSED Extreme delay while upgrading to VLC player 2.1.1

1.Logged in as Admin I was installing VLC player 2.1.1 64 bit. It installed after the necessary permissions from OA. I closed VLC player after the default opening after the installation.It is not trusted.

2. I clicked on the previously available VLC openable playlist. VLC loads as evident from the process explorer , but the VLC GUI does not load. Also from PE , it appears OA is running at more than 25% of CPU spike. So nearly a patient wait of 10 min the VLC player loads the GUI and plays the playlist. This behavior I am seeing for the first time. I suspect the high CPU is choking the subsequent modules / working of the parent program from being loaded as was evident in other issues.

PS

When point 2 was delayed immediately thru the PE I shut down VLC player. I also removed the entry of VLC from the OA program list. Logged off the Admin and logged in as a regular user. I clicked on the playlist. After the natural permission for VLC player from OA is agreed to , immediately it plays.

So confirming that nothing is wrong with the program , once again I deleted VLC player from OA , logged off from the regular user and logged in as Admin , and repeated point 2 and waited thru patiently ( which is reported there originally). On the history list I see a long list of automatically allowed permissions for the variuous modules of OA. Why the delay?

The same is for VLC 2.1.1 32 bit. Trusting is not a solution.Hope this is looked into.

If this cannot be replicated perhaps I can send a debug log for this event...

Did you have an older version of VLC installed? If so, did you clear the VLC cache when you installed it, because that cache can cause VLC to take forever to open even without OA installed.

Let me assure you GT500 , this type of behavior I am seeing it for the first time in the over the top install of VLC player where there is usually no hitch. This time perhaps more new entities have come for permission and OA takes a longer time clearing them with a high CPU spike. Have been with OA for long.. You can trust me.. This will fall in the same pattern of spike while removing large files or Windows update , I think. That could be some area where OA could be slightly erratic..

The install only took about a minute, and that includes clicking 'Allow' on OA's notifications about the installer.

Alas , I am unable to prove that to you anyway because of the obvious missing entries in my history list.But this issue  is distinct from the plugin matter I wrote separately where there are n number of alerts for approval.   In this issue , OA does not alert , it hands over the permissions automatically (as I saw the History list then) but there is immense delay and a CPU spike. It coincides with the spike coming down and the newly istalled VLC player springing to life.And I waw in the history list, till the last second before OA has been clearing permissions for VLC player.

I think it is perhaps the bane of MS that within the same OS and app the behaviors differ. I can only wait till the next VLC release to perhaps see if there is any repetition of the same.

On an academic count, regarding the high CPU spikes etc quiet a few have reported and I personally remember having sent in the debug logs in an earlier version (Not this). Looks like it is an issue depending on the parameters at the individual systems,..

I know I sound like a broken record, but is there any possibility of Debug Logs?

No you don't. I mentioned in a post above that I can attempt that when a new VLC upgrade is available.I would not rather try deleting it frm the program list and trying it out again as it is too slow at this end. BTW my last post was a reply to your post and mentioning how the behavior of OS varies from one sys to another .