Sign in to follow this  
GregDashaway

OA Free Turned Off at Startup

Hi, I was using Online Armor (paid) until last week when the subscription ran out and automatically switched to OA Free. At that point I updated to the latest version 7.0.0.1866, Free.

I have just noticed that when Windows finishes its startup, the OA shield is not in the systray. I looked in Task Manager and I see OAcat running, but SvcOnlineArmor is stopped.

I am running Windows 7, 64, with Online Armor Free. I have Microsoft Security Essentials turned off and Windows Defender turned off.

I also have Emsisoft Antimalware Free, but it only runs on demand. Same with Malwarebytes free. 

Now Online Armor only works when I manually turn it on.

Am I overlooking something?

Everything was fine until now.

Why isn't Online Armor starting when the computer is turned on?

Try the following:

• Open Online Armor.
  • Go to Options in the menu on the left.
  • Make sure you are on the General tab.
  • Make sure the option Launch Online Armor at next startup is selected.
  • Restart your computer, and let me know if it still does not start automatically.

GT500,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The box was selected. And it was selected yesterday, because I checked it.

However, I decided to restart anyway, and lo and behold, Online Armor started up at start up.

Very strange, because it has not been doing that for at least the past two days.

I will keep an eye on it, but at the moment it seems to be working.

Perhaps it will remain a "firewall mystery".

Thanks again for your help.

It's possible that something had removed the startup item or changed the start type on the service (or perhaps both). If it happens again you can try switching the option on and off and reboot just to see if that fixes it.

GT500,

Thank you again for your help with this matter.

I hope you are still around because I have discovered the cause of the problem and have been able to duplicate it on my laptop and desktop computers.

When I turn on the computer, but it is not connected to the internet, then the Online Armor logo shows up in the systray, but...

A little while later a box pops up telling me to get a 30 day trial to Online Armor.

If I click the X in the corner of that box to close it, then the box closes, but immediately thereafter, Online Armor disappears in the systray and is turned off.

This happens with Online Armor Free on Windows 7/64 and on Windows XP.

Is this a bug? A glitch? Or is it standard that Online Armor Free does not work if it cannot connect to the Internet at startup?

Let me know your thoughts.

HAve been using OA free for a long time. Have not seen this occurence. Win 7 x 64 brings its glitches with systray mamgement. I use a batch file to restart Explorer , and it gets back the missing icons.

It may be happening because Online Armor isn't able to verify your license information, however I will have to verify that with the developers.

I haven't heard from our developers on this issue yet, so if I don't reply to this topic tomorrow then please remind me.

According to our developers, if Online Armor cannot connect to our servers it displays an error message. An Internet connection is also required for a free license, so that's probably not what the issue is here. We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem (Online Armor's icon not appearing in the System Tray on startup). After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

GT500,

Hi.

This problem is still happening with all of our home computers.

I will be able to duplicate the problem, but it involves shutting down our internet access for 30 seconds, and every time I am available to do this, no one in our family wants me to shut it down because they are on the internet.

Sigh...

The suggestion you gave for temporarily fixing the problem works. First, I unplug and replug our internet router to reset the connection. Then I reopen Online Armor, unclick the box to begin on startup, then close Online Armor, then reopen Online Armor and reclick the box to turn it on at startup. This way, the problem is temporarily solved until the next time our internet happens to shut down at the time the computer is turned on again.

I will try to send you logs as soon as I can.

Thank you.

OK, one of our developers told me that your logs contained information about license verification errors. They also told me that if you close the license dialog rather than selecting a license type, it will shut down Online Armor and disable the option to run at startup (so that part is expected behavior).

They are recommending a reinstall of Online Armor to see if that resolves the issue. Make sure that, after you uninstall Online Armor, and before you reinstall it, that you restart your computer twice. You can download the latest version of Online Armor from this link.

GT500,

Thank you!

That fixed it!

I had been using Online Armor (the paid version) and the problems started when the paid version ran out and I updated to OA 7.0.0.1866 free.

I did not uninstall the previous version before installing the new version.

When I went to uninstall OA this time, I saw that I was uninstalling version 6.0 on my laptop, and version 5.5 on our home desktop, even though I was running OA 7.0.0.1866..

I am assuming that these older versions were causing a conflict with the new version.

So, I uninstalled, restarted twice, then reinstalled.

And now everything is fine.

Also, both computers open to the desktop about 10 to 15 seconds faster!

Thank you for all your help.