Sign in to follow this  
MTS

iTunes crash. Faulting module oaevent.dll

Every time I Quit iTunes whether by File/Quit or by the close box I am presented with the following dialogue box.

Faulting application name: iTunes.exe, version: 11.1.3.8, time stamp: 0x5274a87d
Faulting module name: oaevent.dll, version: 7.0.0.1866, time stamp: 0x2a425e19
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00026297
Faulting process id: 0xec8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ceefd6fc4c1999
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~1\ONLINE~1\oaevent.dll
Report Id: 4d4d1b57-5bca-11e3-ad8f-00a0d5ffffae

This happens every time i Quit iTunes.

I would appreciate any explanation as to why this is happening.

Thanks.

If you know what folder iTunes is installed in, then you can add it to the exclusions in Online Armor. Here are some instructions for adding a folder to the Exclusions list in Online Armor:

• Click on the Start button, go to All Programs, go to Online Armor, and click on the Online Armor icon to open it.
  • Click on Options in the menu on the left.
  • Go to the Exclusions tab.
  • Click on the Add button.
  • Use the little [+] and [-] icons to the left of folder names to open and close them, find the folder you want to add, click on it to highlight it, and then click OK at the bottom.
  • Close the Online Armor window.

Hi Arthur,

I added iTunes to exclusions and nothing has changed.

It is still giving me faulting module oaevent.dll.

Windows should save a minidump in a folder such as C:\Windows\minidump

Would it be possible to ZIP the minidump and attach it to a reply? You can ZIP files by right-clicking on them, going to Send to, and selecting Compressed (zipped) folder. You can access the attachment controls by clicking the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.

Hi Arthur,

I checked in windows\minidump but the folder is empty.

Is there some windows setting to have it save the minidumps when iTunes quits badly.

Hi Arthur,

Thanks to google and Fabian Wosar I found the reg files to enable crash dumps.

Here attached is the dmp file from iTunes as you requested.

Hi Arthur,

Was wondering if the developers have had a look at my crash dump yet.

Thank You.

One of our developers told me that, from what he is seeing in the minidump, it looks like the issue may have been caused by btmmhook.dll (appears to have something to do with bluetooth software or possibly extra features on HP keyboards, which probably means that more than one vendor is using the same name for their file).

We'll probably need some logs to see what the problem is. Please open Online Armor, go to Options in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode, restart your computer, and then try reproducing your problem with the error message when closing iTunes. After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs), upload it to a website such as RapidShare/DepositFiles/BayFiles/etc (which one you use is up to you), and then copy and paste the link to download the file into a reply (or you can send it to me in a Private Message if you don't want the link posted publicly on the forums). Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Note that RapidShare and BayFiles have been having issues lately, and we may not be able to download the files from them. If you have DropBox, Google Cloud Storage, or Microsoft SkyDrive then those services would be more reliable. Also, you can attach files to private messages on these forums, and I would believe the limit is up to 128MB, so if the file is smaller than 128MB then you can just attach it to a private message to me on these forums.

Hi Arthur,

Before sending log files I thought I would try uninstalling the Bluetooth software and drivers.

The problem seems to be now solved.

Have loaded and quit iTunes three times and cannot get it to happen anymore.

Thank you very much for all your help.